Sweet Potato With Pecans
Sweet Potato With Pecans
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon

5 Fall Recipes Made to Satisfy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Goodbye summer, and hello fall. As we trade our tank tops for sweaters, it’s only reasonable to transition our food. Gone are the days of watermelon and freshly barbequed hot dogs, and here are the days of soups and cozy casseroles. If you’re unsure of what to make, read on for autumn inspirations!

Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup

This gluten-free, vegan soup is rich and creamy without any dairy, and the spices warm you from the inside out. While adding apples to a soup may sound strange, it adds a layer of complexity and pairs perfectly with the squash. Feel free to add a touch of heavy cream to the finished product for additional creaminess, and if things taste a bit flat, add a bit of salt to make things pop. This recipe is for an Instant Pot but has stovetop instructions as well. Check it out here!

Chicken and Brussel Sprouts Sheet Pan Dinner

Sheet pan dinners — while delicious all year long — are especially great in the fall when hardier vegetables are ripe. This recipe is perfect for those with a bit of a sweet tooth as it incorporates maple syrup as well. Don’t break out the regular table syrup, though! This is a dinner worth splurging a bit on. Feel free to customize your sheet dinner by adding additional vegetables, but keep in mind that the cooking time may change. Check it out here!

Instant Pot Cauliflower Potato Soup

As mentioned, soup is the perfect fall food, and this soup is an example of that. The fish sauce may not sound too appetizing, but creates a beautiful umami flavour. The soup doesn’t taste fishy and fills you right up. The bacon adds a lot of salt, so be sure to taste as you go. If you choose not to use bacon, saute the onions in butter and add a bit extra fish sauce. You may also need to add extra salt. Check it out here!

Spiced Pumpkin French Toast Casserole

Is it really fall if we don’t eat anything pumpkin flavored? This casserole has a long chilling time, but is so worth it for a warm and cozy breakfast. Don’t be afraid of the long ingredients list, as the majority of it are spices. For an extra feeling of luxury, make your own whipped cream as a topping. Check it out here!

Spinach Pomegranate Salad

With both spinach and pomegranates in season, this salad is perfect for warmer days where you long for summer. The dressing can easily be elevated by swapping it out for a homemade one, such as this pomegranate balsamic vinaigrette. To make it a bit more filling, feel free to add avocados or other healthy fats. Check it out here!

Transitioning to fall doesn’t have to mean eating boring food. The next time you’re left wondering what to make for your next meal, check out any of these recipes!

Kaitlin is a bilingual (French and English) writer originating from friendly Thunder Bay. They are in their seventh year at York University, where they study professional writing with an emphasis on journalism. They live with their partner of nine years and their cat, Tessa. They started writing with a passion and a poem that eventually won third in a contest 12 years ago, and started editing not too long after. When not at the keyboard, Kaitlin can be found reading, cooking, playing video games, or holding Tessa. Their favorite movies are scary and their favorite television genre is reality. Kaitlin's passions include copyediting, anything scary or spooky and adding to her collection of dolls, magnets and cups. Their favorite part of writing/editing is giving others a chance to share their story or achieve their dreams and offering insight on "the little things." Some of Kaitlin's favorite topics reflect on their personal life, including health/disabilities, fringe topics and social issues.