Hero Images with HC Branding 15?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 15?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design
Wellness

Managing All of This: Online Classes, Leaving Yale, Staying Sane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Yale chapter.

So, you’ve heard the news. Following Spring Break, Yale is moving classes online until at least April 5th due to concerns about the COVID-19. We are advised to stay home until further notice. When I first heard the news, I was S-T-R-E-S-S-E-D and I’m sure many of you were as well. This is a big upheaval: academics will be changed, we won’t see our friends for a while, events are cancelled, and big performances are jeopardized. These are the steps I will be taking over the next few days to make sure I’m staying healthy and okay throughout all this turmoil. **Note: these are only my opinions and you should rely on official information from Yale as well as your doctor/the CDC about staying healthy and safe during these times. 

1. Take a deep breath and allow yourself to feel.

This is a big change. You’re likely anxious, apprehensive, sad, or unsure of what’s to come. No matter what you’re feeling right now, it is so completely valid. This is a big upheaval and you are 100% entitled to your emotions. Before carrying on with your day, take a deep breath and center yourself wherever you are. Now repeat. Again. Okay. 

1. Drink some water. 

If you’ve been traveling, you’re likely dehydrated. Even if you think you’re hydrated, get even more hydrated. Drink up— you have the time. You will feel better. 

1. Check in on your friends.

Being home or somewhere that is not Yale for an extended period of time might seem lonely or just plain weird for a lot of us. The specific feelings that come with this change are different for everyone. FaceTime your friends, keep the group chat alive, don’t abandon your snap streaks— do whatever it takes to stay connected with the people you care about most. Even if you’re not there for your pals in person, let them know that you’re only a quick message away. 

1. Appreciate and accept the place where you are now.

You might not be at Yale and that can be hard. But you are somewhere. And that’s okay. I can guarantee that wherever you are is beautiful, comfortable, and interesting in its own way. Look out your window and try to appreciate what you see. If you’re in a city, listen to the noise of the streets and enjoy the beautiful twinkling lights. If you’re in a more rural area, breathe in the spring air and spend some time with nature. If you’re in an airport, feel peace in the hustle and bustle. The Earth is beautiful. You have time to step back and appreciate it. 

1.  Do that thing you’ve always wanted to do (but didn’t have time to do). 

Now that you’ve taken a deep breath, re-hydrated, checked in on your friends, and accepted where you are, it’s time to have a little fun. Is there a classic novel you’ve always wanted to read, but couldn’t fit it into that busy Yale schedule? Haven’t played piano in a while? Have you been thinking about starting that food blog for a while now? Did you want to watch this season of “The Bachelor” but couldn’t free up your Monday nights while at school? Now, you have the time! Even once virtual classes start up again, you’ll probably have a few more hours to spare than you did while at Yale.

1. If you can, be a little bit (or very) active.

With all your newfound free time, you might be tempted to sit on your couch and watch TV all day. While this is fine, it might start to get old after a while. Dance in your room, run on the treadmill, do yoga, walk around your house, play with your pet, jump on your bed, do a workout video. Even if it’s only for a few minutes, you might feel better afterwards than when you started. 

1. Stay calm and talk with others.

Panicking (probably) won’t make you feel better. Talking about how you feel with your family, friends, neighbors, or even Yale Memes for Special Snowflake Teens most likely will. If there’s something you can control, take steps to make it happen. For example, you can wash your hands often. If there’s something you can’t control, try not to worry too much about it. 

1. Take another deep breath.

Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. Breathe. Okay. 

1. Know you are not alone. 

We are in this together. I support you, wherever you are and whatever you are doing. We will face these struggles as a team. If you need to talk to someone, please do not hesitate to reach out to friends, family, or a mental health care provider. 

In the meantime, make sure to follow the official Yale Facebook page and check your emails often to stay updated on the university’s future plans. We can get through this. 

Shannon Linder is a senior English major at Yale University from the Pacific Northwest. On campus, you’ll find her performing and choreographing for a campus dance group, singing karaoke with friends, or planning her next outdoor adventure.
Clara is a Junior at Yale University majoring in history. She is from Washington D.C. In her free time, Clara does creative writing. She is also a lover of world, particularly African, literature and art projects (we're talking glue, glitter and whatever other materials are around).