bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Become a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

People who wake up earlier tend to be more optimistic, healthy and less stressed; three things we all wish we could be more during college.

SLEEP!

When your mom tells you to get 8 hours of sleep to stay healthy, she isn’t lying. We all know 8 hours isn’t always possible, but we should try to make it happen routinely. When we are sleep deprived, our blood pressure rises, our reaction times slow down, and we tend to eat more. Not to mention, waking up after only five hours of sleep is nearly impossible. So go to bed at a reasonable time and get those eight hours so your morning will be that much easier.

Wake up at the same time everyday

One of the best ways to become a morning person is to wake up at the same time every morning. This will put your body in a routine and will help you to feel naturally awake at the same time every morning without that third cup of coffee.

Don’t lounge

Right after waking up actually get up! Do not lay in bed for five more minutes; it will just leave you more drowsy. Get up and get moving. Just doing five jumping jacks right after you wake up will make you feel more energetic.

Skip the snooze

The snooze button can actually disrupt your sleep cycle. Even if you decide to snooze for another ten minutes, are you really even sleeping? It can end up leaving you feeling more tired than if you had just gotten up at the alarm.

Leave time for breakfast

Not only does breakfast provide energy for all morning activities, it can also help prevent the mid-morning slump, boost concentration and provide necessary vitamins and minerals to fuel yourself for the rest of the day.

Morning rewards

Reward yourself in the morning to give you something good to wake up to by planning out pleasurable morning activities. For example, set your alarm to your favorite song, take a hike to boost your spirits and energize your morning, or just chill out by setting aside ten minutes for morning meditation.

So what do you say? Are you ready to wake up on the right side of the bed?

Layla Helton is a senior Advertising/Media Studies major born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. When she is not writing for HCXU she can be found sitting on her couch working, studying or watching the Bengals game. She spends the majority of her free time with her "goon squad" of friends engaging in all sorts of shenanigans.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.