This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

As we enter Week 5 of Spring Quarter here at WWU, it becomes very easy to get caught up in the chaos of midterm exams. If you’re looking to do well on your tests but not run yourself ragged, here are a few tips to make studying less stressful.

Remember to Eat

All day study sessions are great if that is what works for you, but don’t forget to take breaks for food. When you are hungry, it is much harder to focus, and not getting a good meal or snack into your day can make you feel physically unwell. Good study snacks are high in protein and/or natural sugars, such as peanut butter, apple slices, carrot sticks, and hard boiled eggs, Perhaps even more important: hydrate! Make sure that you are drinking lots of water, as it increases overall wellness and brain function.

Manage Your Time

When studying, it is a good idea to break up your time into manageable chunks, so your brain doesn’t get fried. There are multiple ways to do this, and which one you choose is up to you. One method is to allot an hour to one subject, then an hour to a different subject,  Another is the “Pomodoro Method,” which can be used with the same subject or different ones. This method is scientifically proven to increase productivity, and it works by taking a 5 minute break after every 25 minutes of work.

Don’t Isolate Yourself

A lot of students get so caught up in studying for exams that they end up not seeing the world outside of their textbooks as often as they should.  Make a conscious effort to interact with those you care about, and don’t be afraid to call home for some support.  Even going to a quick lunch with a friend can be enough to take some stress away.

Sleep

You’ve heard it a thousand times, but it’s important.  Without enough sleep, your body will not be able to handle all the information that you are trying to retain. This makes studying and memorizing much harder, and pulling an all-nighter can make you feel even less prepared than if you had gone to bed! While the recommended 8 hours is probably unthinkable for most students, at least try to get no less than 6. Your body and your mind will thank you.

Finally, Relax Once a Day

Every day, find something relaxing and non-academic to do for at least 10 minutes. It could be watching silly internet videos, taking a calming walk outside, making the perfect cup of tea, or taking a nice long bath.  If it allows you to forget about school, its fair game.  Afterwards, you will feel rejuvenated and ready to take on your classes.

Good luck to everyone on your midterms, you’ll do great!

Katie Wallis. WWU. 18 years old. Cell and Molecular Biology Major, Anthropology Minor.