This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Rebecca Rivero, Western Washington University alumna and founder of Middle Women and Thomas Webber, president of Middle Women, a social purpose company that cultivates positive self-esteem and body image are working to launch Middle Women at other universities and communities. 

Middle Women originally came about by Rivero sharing her story of dealing with an eating disorder online. Rivero wanted to become something bigger and share her story to encourage a community of dialogue among women to empower them to have positive self-esteem and body image. Established in 2012, they work to encourage women to express their individuality and help women to attain skills to live a more positive life by using forms of art. It is a great resource page for women who are seeking mental and physical health advice. 

Working as a production writing company, Rivero and Webber use forms of media which include, art, photography, fim, journalism and creative writing  to advance a social cause. 

“We want our company to be a social purpose company so we can have the skills and desire to be sustainable and feed our environment and the community,” said Rivero.

Environmental issues are an important issue to Middle Women. They want to be a social purpose company to make profit without harming the environment.

“We focus on ethical concerns and want our company to be sustainable,” said Rivero.

Middle Women wants to integrate the social purpose business model to be an organization that supports their mission. As a social purpose company Middle Women wants to break the stigma of corporation wanting to sell people things as a solution to happiness.

“We believe as a social purpose company, we should sell people stuff by making people feel great about themselves,” said Webber.

Middle Women is beginning to strategize of how to become a successful social purpose company. One idea is to sell a coffee mug at events that would say ‘great job’ in order to sell their mission and values to people of having the self-esteem to feel good about yourself and help others.

I am a senior at Western Washington Univeristy studying communication studies and public relations. I love to read, write, hang out with friends, shop and love my dogs! 
I am currently a senior at Western Washington University. I am majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communication Studies. I am passionate about using my marketing skills to empower women.