Winter Workouts: To Go Outside or Stay In?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Winter is cold, especially here in Buckhannon, but you can still get outside and workout if you have the proper clothing and insight.

Clothing is probably the most important factor in a cold weather workout. The key is to stay warm, but not to get soaked with sweat. A buildup of sweat could cause your body to become even colder as the freezing air cools the water that surrounds your body, thus causing hypothermia. Finding clothes that are breathable, but warm is very important. Also, keeping your head, face, and ears covered will decrease heat loss from your body. WebMD states that you lose up to 80% of your body heat through your head, so keeping it covered and warm is very essential.

Knowing your limits and changing your workout to compensate for the cold temperature is the next step in having a successful workout. You should shorten your workout by approximately half when you start exercising in the cold. Once you get a firm grasp on how you feel with the shorter workout, gradually increase your length/intensity. GRADUALLY is the key word. If you feel really good after your first short workout, don’t jump straight up to your most intense level that you perform in the summer.

Now, when is it smarter to go to the Wellness Center to get your workout in? There are many deciding factors that come into play. If the sidewalks are icy/snowy, stay indoors. Ice, of course, can be dangerous to walk on, much less run on. Doing this could potentially cause some serious injuries. If the sidewalks or roads are snow covered, unless you have water-proof shoes, stay in. Wet, cold feet could lead to frostbite, which could be very serious and should be avoided at all costs. Also, if it is very frigid and very windy out, stay inside. For example, the weather we have in West Virginia, and most of the U.S., with wind chills below -20, you run the risk of getting frostbite within 5 minutes of skin exposure.

With these tips and precautions, everyone can have a successful wintry workout!

West Virginia Wesleyan College, English Writing and Communications major.