Things to Consider Before Living Off-Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Living off-campus is a big, grown-up decision. Some people can withstand the responsibility of being on their own. While others…not so much. Living off-campus has its pros, where you can come home from a long day of lectures and labs, and you can kick back to watch Netflix in the confront of your own home. But it also has its cons, like are hearing every door and footstep in the hallways at night. This article isn’t trying to change anyone’s mind about living off-campus; it’s more about informing you of what you might need to know before making that decision.

1. Location, location, location:

Unless you have a car, you might not want to choose a place to far away from campus that you can’t at least walk to.

1. The Money:

If you or your roommate know that one or both of you are not good with money, definitely consider this. Get to know your budget. Get a notebook, and write down how much money you would be spending on your new place. Find out how much rent, utilities, and extra fees will cost.

1. The Neighbors:

You never know who will live in these apartment buildings. Living in a college town, you will likely get a mix of college kids and townies flooding in, and sometimes people underestimate how loud they really are. If it becomes an issue, talk with your neighbor first before letting your landlord know.

1. You get what you pay for:

If you’re looking for a really cheap place to stay, understand that it is really cheap place to stay. Understand that it won’t be an elegant brick condo with a balcony and white columns. Make sure you put that into consideration.

Until next time, HCXO!