Style > Beauty

Your Skin’s Best Friend: Hyaluronic Acid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Skincare is so important. And not only is it relaxing, it’s beneficial– your skin is your largest organ. By taking care of it now, you will not only control skin problems you are currently dealing with, but you will help your skin in the future. There are always new products on the market, but if you don’t already have a bottle of hyaluronic acid serum in your bathroom (or skincare fridge), you and your skin are missing out. 

Hyaluronic acid is naturally produced by your body in order to keep your skin hydrated. However, as you age, the amount of hyaluronic acid in your skin decreases. Exposure to UV rays, smoke and pollution are also to blame for the decrease of hyaluronic acid in your skin. Because you can’t avoid this, it is important to replenish your skin of what it’s losing in order to make sure your skin is at its healthiest and happiest. 

Applying hyaluronic acid onto your skin will give you ultimate hydration, which will be especially beneficial during colder times of the year. Hyaluronic acid pulls moisture from the deep layers of your skin to hydrate top layers of your skin and will even pull moisture from the air to hydrate your skin even further. With long term use, it will make sure the moisture remains in your skin.

With hydration comes plumper, smoother and softer skin. It is also credited to have amazing anti-aging properties and is a great way to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. 

The best part: it is perfect for all skin types. Because it is a very light product, even those with the oiliest skin will be able to enjoy the benefits of hyaluronic acid. I noticed a major difference in my combination skin after I began incorporating hyaluronic acid into my skincare routine.

Adding hyaluronic acid to your skincare routine can be done in a multitude of ways– with serums, masks or creams. My personal favorite is Hale Cosmeceuticals’ Dermist M3 Hyaluronic Acid.

Hale Cosmeceuticals Dermist M3 Hyaluronic Acid, 2 oz, shop now

The next time you’re planning to add something else to your skincare shelf, pick up a bottle of hyaluronic acid–your skin will thank you. 

For a list of dermatologist-approved hyaluronic acid serums, click here

Marra is a sophomore at West Virginia University studying Public Relations with minors in Communication and Strategic Social Media. She is from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and loves traveling, music, shopping and skincare.
Rachel is a graduate student at WVU majoring in journalism with minors in Appalachian studies, history and political science. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a publicity intern for Arts and Entertainment and a news intern for Univerisity Relations. She is from Princeton, West Virginia and loves her state and its beautiful mountains. She is passionate about many things including dogs, musicals and the Mountaineers.