kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Your guide to the WVU Student Recreation Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

The WVU Student Recreation Center is a great place to shed off that freshman 15. You can swim a few laps in the pool or join an aquatic class, or grab a friend or two and try out the rock climbing wall. Weights and cardio aren’t the only activity at the center but it is a pretty big part of it. There’s also several basketball courts and an indoor track right above a few of them.

If you love to swim you’ll definitely enjoy the center’s enormous pool. If you’re in the mood for some laps, then there’s a pool dedicated for those. If you check the center’s website you can even find aquatic classes to take.

If swimming isn’t for you, try out the 50-foot rock climbing wall. Monday through Friday from 4-10 p.m., you can rope climb the whole wall. Any other time you can boulder, meaning you only climb up to about 10-15 feet without a rope. Of course there are safety mats to put under you. Best part is, you can rent climbing shoes from the front desk.

Right next to the rock wall you can see the actual gym. The gym is two floors: the first floor is a little more user-friendly offering Smith machines and few free weights. You can work on some calisthenics with the larger machine that even has an adjustable box jump. Maybe you feel like going for a run, and you have two options: the first being the treadmill and the second taking a run on the indoor track.

It takes nine laps on the indoor track to complete a mile with small areas to do interval training. You can see a few basketball courts  where you can choose to play that or bad mitten. You can rent equipment at the front desk and sometimes, if you’re lucky, they’ll let you use certain equipment for free.

Don’t let the upper classmen or the very serious gym-goers scare you away from all that fun. Go with a friend or ask the front desk for a tour and a list of all the activities they provide. Once you get over feeling uncomfortable at the rec you’ll have a blast with all they have to offer.

Kelci is a freshman at WVU and she is studying Forensic science. Kelci enjoys photography and photoshop. She also went to 4 different high schools and one of them was in Texas!