Rundown of tutoring at West Virginia University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

As midterms approach and graded assignments are adding up on E-Campus, it’s never too late to get some help in tough courses. Here’s what you need to know to get on the right track!

Downtown Library:

The downtown library, also known as Wise Library, offers a wide array of tutoring opportunities. From 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Sunday –Thursday, you can stop in for drop-in tutoring, meaning you don’t have to make an appointment. Drop in tutoring is closed for finals week, so be sure to take advantage of it before the semester ends. You can also schedule a tutoring appointment any time Monday- Saturday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. Note that you can only schedule one hour, per subject, per week, and you must schedule at least 36 hours ahead of your desired appointment time.  If you can’t make your appointment be sure to notify your tutor ahead of time. If you don’t notify your tutor, it can lead to loss of tutoring appointment privileges. You can schedule an appointment online at their website.

Evansdale Library:

Tutoring at the Evansdale campus is limited to tutoring appointments. The requirements for scheduling an appointment are the same as for the downtown library.  Bennet Tower’s Academic Resource Center (ARC) on the Evansdale campus also offers tutoring, including drop in and scheduled. You can schedule an appointment at the library or the ARC any time between 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Drop in tutoring is also available at the ARC anytime between 6 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., Sunday through Thursday.

Office Hours:

While your professor’s office hours aren’t technically considered tutoring, they are a great way to have one-on-one help with your professor. Often times, Teaching Assistants are available to help as well. If you are unsure of your professor’s expectations or don’t understand the material, it’s always a good idea to stop in and ask them for help. Professors love when you stop in during their office hours because it lets them get to know their students and shows you care about their class. If your professor knows you personally and knows you are willing to take the initiative in their class, they may be more willing to help you out at the end of the semester if you are struggling with your grade (with opportunities like extra credit, allowing you to turn in late assignments, and rounding your grade in general.)  

TestWell:

If you’re a student in the Honors College, the TestWell learning center is for you. You can find their hours and the subjects offered at the center’s website.

The tutoring opportunities at WVU are a great way to maintain your grades.  Don’t be afraid to drop in and ask questions or schedule an appointment. The tutors are more than happy to help. Not to mention that all of these services are free for WVU students!

Jessica is a sophomore at West Virginia University. She is working towards a degree in Criminology with minors in Psychology and Legal studies. In her spare time she enjoys hiking, crime TV and spending time with loved ones. While she is keeping her mind open to other opportunities, she hopes to one day work in the legal system.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.