Nearby places to go for some outdoor therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

Now that you’ve finally settled in to Morgantown and campus life, whether as a returning or new WVU student, you might want a change of scenery from classroom walls, libraries and the Mountainlair dining area. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, “proximity to greenspace has been associated with lower levels of stress and reduced symptomology for depression and anxiety.”

Fall is quickly approaching and now is the time to get outside and enjoy all the “Wild and Wonderful” parts of West Virginia. Here are some of the best nearby places to visit for some outdoor therapy.

Coopers Rock

Coopers Rock is a popular spot among WVU students. It is located about twenty minutes from WVU in Bruceton Mills, WV. The Iconic overlook is very Insta worthy and has a great view of the Cheat River. Aside from the overlook, there are also many opportunities for hiking, camping, fishing, rock climbing, and more! Another cool feature of the Cooper’s Rock area are the eco-statues. A crowd favorite is the sleeping giant featured below.

Core Arboretum

The Core Arboretum is located near the Evansdale campus, across from the Creative Arts Center (CAC) and next to the Coliseum.  The Arboretum includes a series of trails and an amphitheater, all of which is run by the university. The Arboretum hosts many events including the upcoming Paw Paw festival on September 29th.  Paw Paw is a fruit native to West Virginia and the festival will include tastings of the fruit, live music, and other activities.

Hazel Ruby McQuain Park

This park is just a short walk from the downtown campus by the Westover bridge. It offers great views of the mon river and an Amphitheatre. A paved trail, known to many as the Caperton Rail Trail, runs through this park and along the river. The trail is six miles in total, but if a six-mile hike sounds as deadly to you as it does to me then maybe just try a leisurely walk on the trail at Hazel Ruby McQuain Park.

Krepps Park

This park is about a mile from the Evansdale campus on Parkview Drive. It features many amenities including hiking trails, an outdoor swimming pool, picnic areas, and most importantly a dog park!

These spots are just a few of the many outdoor activities for the adventurer in you. Whether it’s a short walk from campus or a long drive, take some time to discover some of your favorite hiking trails, scenic routes, parks and more.

Jessica is a sophomore at West Virginia University. She is working towards a degree in Criminology with minors in Psychology and Legal studies. In her spare time she enjoys hiking, crime TV and spending time with loved ones. While she is keeping her mind open to other opportunities, she hopes to one day work in the legal system.
Maura is a senior at West Virginia University, studying honors journalism and leadership. She was the president of Her Campus at WVU from 2018-2019, interns with ESPN College GameDay and works as a marketing/communication assistant for the Reed College of Media. On campus, she has written opinion for WVU's Daily Athenaeum, served as the PR chair for WVU Society of Professional Journalists and was a reporter for WVUToday. She teaches leadership classes for the Honors College and is an active member of both the Honors Student Association and Helvetia Honorary. Maura is an avid fan of The New Yorker, (most) cities and the first half of late-night talk shows.