3 Things That You Need to Add to Your Summer Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

With the spring semester coming to a close, it’s time to start thinking about your summer plans. Each year, I compose a summer bucket list of activities that I can do with my friends and family. Some activities are inexpensive or free, which is perfect since most of my spending money is gone at the end of the school year. Other activities on my list are more on the expensive side, but I guarantee that breaking the bank will be worth it. Here are three activities on my summer bucket list that will make your summer unforgettable.

1. Attend a music festival with your best friends.

Music festivals bring out the best in everyone, whether they’re a concert junkie or not. Singing and dancing to your favorite artists under the stars with your best friends is an experience like no other. Whether you’re camping or picking one day to attend, the memories last forever. You get to dress up however you want. The range of outfits you see at a music festival goes from flowy, hippie pants to metallic shorts and space buns. However you choose to dress, you can’t wear these one-of-a-kind outfits anywhere else.

There are various music festivals taking place this summer showcasing different genres of music. If you love EDM music, go to Moonrise, a two-day annual festival in Baltimore, Maryland.  The 2019 lineup has yet to be announced, but previous headliners are Diplo, Marshmello, Excision, Galantis and more. If you’re a country music lover, the Carolina Country Music Festival in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, is perfect for you. Florida Georgia Line, Thomas Rhett, Dierks Bentley, Dan + Shay and more to be announced will be performing. Firefly, in Dover, Delaware, and Bonnaroo, in Manchester, Tennessee, has a wide variety of music being performed. Panic! at the Disco, Travis Scott, Post Malone and Vampire Weekend are headlining Firefly. Some of the headliners at Bonnaroo are Childish Gambino, Odesza, Hozier and Cardi B.

2. Go for a hike.

There’s no better way to burn some calories than being surrounded by beautiful scenery while you’re walking. To give the illusion that you’re not just exercising, you can bring food and a blanket for a picnic with a view. The best part about hiking is that it’s completely free! You just need your body and suitable shoes.

West Virginia offers many hiking trails at different locations such as Harper’s Ferry and Blackwater Falls State Park. At Harper’s Ferry, the trails through the national park include historical sites such a Civil War Museum and John Brown’s fort. You get views of the river from Jefferson Rock. Harper’s Ferry is less than three hours away from Morgantown. If you want to be in the river, River Riders Family Adventure Resort is also an option. Blackwater Falls State Park, which is a two-hour drive from Morgantown, offers incredible views of a 57-foot-tall waterfall. You can rent a cabin there if you want to enjoy other activities there such as fishing, hunting and even aerial tours.

3. Attend Goat Yoga

If your summer workload is stressing you out, take a day for yourself to participate in a goat yoga session. Original Goat Yoga describes the experience as “part yoga, part animal-assisted therapy”. If you are 21, you can attend the Original Goat Yoga & Wine Tasting retailing for fifty dollars. According to the website, it’s an “all-levels yoga class where you are surrounded by loving mini goats” then you join your class for Goat Happy Hour.

There are multiple locations for Original Goat Yoga across the country. The closest location to Morgantown is approximately three hours away in Carlisle, PA. Click here to see the satellite map of other locations.

Madison is a freshman at WVU majoring in Interactive Design for Media. In her free time, she enjoys watching Youtube videos, Netflix binges, and drawing. She isn't set on what she wants to do after she graduates, but plans on working and designing for a media company.
Her Campus at West Virginia University