Can’t Stop Looking At Coachella Pictures? Us Either—Here Are Some Concerts You Can Afford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVU chapter.

It’s that time of year where our social media platforms are blowing up with Coachella pictures, and I cannot be the only one who wishes I was there. As a college student without an influential social media platform attending that specific festival is completely unrealistic. Music festivals should not be exclusively narrowed down to just famous people and it’s probably safe to say that Coachella is the new red carpet of the 2020s. For regular music and fashion lovers, fortunately, there are more realistic and affordable ways to attend music festivals.

Hypothetical trip to Coachella

If a student from West Virginia University decided to go to Coachella this year for one of the two weekends, it would cost them around $429 for just the general admission ticket. Add in a flight and hotel, that’s around $800 more dollars–without including the price of perfectly coordinated outfits. For someone who only experiences this event through a computer or a phone screen, it is intimidating and upsetting to realize that Coachella is insanely far-fetched for the regular music and fashion lover.

A concert-filled summer 2019

On a positive note, music festivals are not limited to just a desert in California. A few hours away in Manchester, Tennessee, running from June 13-18, Bonnaroo is taking place with headliners like Post Malone, The Lumineers and Childish Gambino all performing. For four-day general admission, it breaks down to around $80 a day. Another festival, Boston Calling, is taking place as soon as summer begins in Allston, Massachusetts. $249 pays for three days of concerts with performers like Travis Scott, Sheck Wes and Twenty One Pilots. Music festivals do not always need to span over the course of a few days: Roots Picnic in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is on June 1st. Performers include The Roots, 21 Savage  and Lil Baby- not to mention the early bird ticket is only $69.

A music festival specifically for college students

These still may be unrealistic, whether that be from price, location or concert dates. Fortunately, there are music festivals held at college campus’ around the United States. One that particularly stands out is Number Fest in the college town of Athens, Ohio. This festival took place recently- on April 13th to be exact. This is important to remember for next year because tickets usually range from $30- $40 and previous performers include Kendrick Lamar and Steve Aoki, not to mention Ohio University is only two and a half hours away.

Don’t forget your tent… or a few cheese and cracker Lunchables.

Once the festival tickets are purchased, the spending isn’t over. Travel, lodging and food all need to be taken into account because most general admission tickets do not include anything else besides the wristband– or maybe a lanyard if you’re lucky. There are many ways to enjoy music festivals on a budget. For food and sleeping, it is smart to stay and coordinate with a big group of people. It makes the whole experience more meaningful, not to mention affordable because of splitting up costs. Camping right on the festival grounds is a popular and economical way to really get the most out of the time spent at the festival. As for packing food, easy to prepare meals like Lunchables or granola bars is your best bet.

Goodwill is the new Urban Outfitters.

Personally, I think the most important part of music festival preparation is planning outfits.

Shopping for these outfits at second-hand stores is the best idea; why spend hundreds of dollars on clothing that ultimately was designed to look vintage and unique. Also buying clothes from places like Goodwill and Plato’s Closet assures that no one else will be wearing the same thing as you.

Plan, plan, plan!

It is sad to think of Coachella as a right of passage in the world of media influence, celebrating music and unique personal style should be feasible for everyone. Understandably, most of these music festivals tend to cost a pretty penny and require a lot of planning, and with that being said it may not be possible to attend upcoming events. However, people should take note of what events are happening throughout the year, that way there can be more planning.

Molly Carrick from Rochester, New York is freshman at West Virginia University studying Communications. Some of her favorite things include: hiking, thrift shopping, drawing and just spending time with people she loves. Molly loves adventuring new places, and has an inclination to travel the world. She is very passionate about fashion and the environment, and plans to write about those topics for Her Campus.
Her Campus at West Virginia University