10 Things to Know Before Starting Work at a Daycare

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Throughout my life I have had a lot of jobs, but I have always found myself coming back to where I am the most comfortable: working at a daycare. Something about my energy and children’s energies work very well together, which makes working at a daycare feel like less of a job and more of a rewarding way to spend my time. That being said, children somehow manage to be the cutest little empathy-lacking monsters you’ve ever met. Here are some things that I have learned from working in different daycares for the past 5 years of my life. 

1. Children Take A LOT of Patience 

Remembering that kids are still just learning how this world works is something that should go without being said, but it’s easy to forget when you are spending most of your time with them. They are looking at you to help them figure out how to navigate the biggest thing they will ever experience. That requires you to have the patience to explain basically every concept of human language and life ever to them.  

2. Lisps Are Quite Possibly The Funniest Thing Ever

All I have to say about this is, PLEASE watch the YouTube video of the little kid trying to say “firetruck”.

3. In The Classroom, a Lot of Sentences You’d Never Think You’d Say are, in Fact, Said. 

For example, the other day I had to explain to a preschooler why molding a play-doh penis is not acceptable in school.

4. There is Nothing Worse than Dealing with Multiple Potty Training Toddlers All Day. 

I once witnessed a 2-year-old pull down their pants and proceed to poop on the floor. 

5. Coffee Tastes 400 Times Better in the Daycare

When trying to keep up with kids’ undying energy, coffee will quickly become your best friend.

6. Children Are MEAN

As Louis CK once said, “the traits that make humans stomachable are sympathy and empathy.” Children don’t have that. Be prepared for them to be brutally honest about everything you do. 

7. Simple Tasks will Always Take 10 More Minutes than Expected

Want to take a child or two downstairs so you can make a quick copy? Just know that you will end up taking about 4 pit stops on the way. 

8. You will Without a Doubt Form an Opinion on Every New Children’s Show

I personally am a big fan Paw Patrol. Skye is my favorite.

9. Children are the Reflection of Their Parents

Physically and emotionally, they are their parents. The more time you spend with a child, the better you feel you know the parents. 

10. You Will Grow a Love for Each and Every Child You Work with

All jokes aside, children are one of the best things in the world. A day with them will never be boring or unrewarding. They manage to make you feel so appreciated without even saying a word. Seeing them grow and develop throughout the time you spend with them will be a wonderful feeling that you will not be able to explain. 

Even though children can sometimes make you want to rip your hair out, there will be SO many amazing moments throughout every day that make it worthwhile. Children are complex little beings that hold some of the best and worst qualities. One second they are screaming and crying over you using the wrong color marker, and the next they are playing with your hair and telling you they love you. It’s not for everyone, but if taking care of 10+ children all day is something you believe you have the superpower to do, you will not regret it. 

Julia is a communications major from William Paterson University who has always had a passion for writing.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"