This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WM chapter.

It’s long been said that a person’s health is 70 percent diet and 30 percent exercise.  Now that it’s 2013, you’ve made your resolutions, maybe already broken them, and are trying to get back on track.  This year, one great way to turn over a new leaf is to transform your diet to center on a more “whole foods” approach. This style of eating focuses on eating less processed foods and more on eating foods in their natural form.  This healthy living trend has been heavily supported through the current rise of local CSA’s across the nation.  

What exactly is a CSA?  It stands for community support agriculture.  Fresh from the farm to the table, CSA’s provide the public with healthy, often organic, produce and groceries from local farmers.  Unknown to many students on campus, there are a variety of options that students can take advantage of right here in Williamsburg, when it comes to supporting the local food movement.  All three of the options are within walking distance of the College (if not already on campus!).

Perhaps one of the most well known places to purchase local produce throughout the Williamsburg community is the farmers’ market, which takes place every Saturday morning on Duke of Gloucester Street, March 30 though October 26. There is no better way to end a weekend run on a warm, spring day than on D.O.G. Street, with cash in hand meandering around the market. Due to the large number of vendors, you can purchase items that range from croissants to goat milk soap to fresh flowers.

If you are looking for a more routine and steady supply of food however, you should consider buying a semester share at Heidi’s Homegrown & Organics.  This CSA provides you with a weekly basket of produce for a total of just under $10 a week.  For the amount of food you receive, this is by far the best deal around. Here is a look at the typical produce given out and when.

Pick up is also extremely convenient with the owner Heidi Martin. Once a week, she comes to PBK to deliver the week’s basket.

Another option that offers easily accessible pick up for students is Real Food Williamsburg.  Unlike Heidi’s, participants can create an account online and go “grocery shopping” to buy as much or as little food as you’d like.  Pick up is also once a week, typically Wednesdays, at the Grind. Real Food Williamsburg features lots of conventional and unconventional produce (ever heard of a black radish?).  You can also buy things from Mad About Chocolate on the site!  For those looking to get more involved, this non-profit is run solely by volunteers and welcomes help.

Whether you are a “foodie” looking to spice up your meals or are trying to develop a well-rounded diet, local produce it a great place to turn; sometimes you don’t have to look much further than right outside your front door (or dorm door) to create a healthy start!

Harper is a junior at the College of William and Mary, majoring in Psychology and minoring in Marketing. A DC-Area native, she serves as Co-President at Her Campus William and Mary. She spends her summers interning in Marketing. This past summer was spent in New York City working at OppenheimerFunds as a Digital Strategy Intern, and the year before at Gannett working as a Marketing and Promotions Intern in the Social Commerce Division. She hopes to slowly accomplish a few things on her list of ridiculous dreams including hugging a walrus and voicing a named Disney character in a movie.Blog || LinkedIn || Twitter