Winter on Campus as Told by Parks and Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Ah, yes, winter. We all think we can handle it, but let’s face it—it’s pretty difficult to be in temperatures that compare to Antarctica, all while having to walk multiple miles a day just to get to class. The cast of Parks and Rec seems to have some thoughts on it as well…

Trying to get to class but having to walk up or downhill (If you’ve had to go to Van Hise going up Charter Street in the past two weeks, this one hits home…)

The struggle is REAL.

When the already slow walkers take the pace down to .05 miles per hour due to excessive snowfall…

No, seriously, take your time! It’s not like I have anywhere to be…

When you step outside on Thursday night and the air feels 10 degrees warmer due to your recent, ahem, consumption.

Thank youuuuu!

Your only incentive to go to your first club meetings of the semester…

Honestly, pizza is a good enough reason to convince me to do pretty much anything!

When you show up to your 8 am late for the third day in a row due to the aforementioned slow walkers.

Deffffinitely not cranky rn.

When you slip on the ice in front of everyone and it happens so fast you don’t even have time to process…

No one saw that…. right? Right. 

When you order delivery because the arctic tundra is just too much for you and it shows up 45 minutes late.

*Refreshes “out for delivery” page repeatedly*

When you pull out your trusty weather app and the *high* temperature is in the negatives…

Oh no. This is not ideal. At all.

Spotting the local Witte freshmen on a night out wearing so much as a tank top.

Someday, they’ll learn. Parka with hood > mini skirt and jean jacket

And finally, when you get back to your apartment after a long day in the depths of the North Pole…

BLESS UP.

Although this is definitely a less than fun time of year for all of us, remember that we are in the good ol’ Midwest and it never lasts more than a few weeks. Just think back to this when you’re cranking the A/C and sweating through everything you own in approximately… three months?

Holly is a junior at UW-Madison studying Strategic Communication with a Digital Studies certificate. She is originally from Minneapolis, MN, loves iced coffee, indie music, and warm days on the terrace, and has watched the entirety of The Office three times. She is a Managing Editor for HC Wisconsin and will be heading to London this spring for a semester abroad! 
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!