Life > Experiences

Why Training for a Half Marathon is the Best Decision Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Running is addicting!

I’m training for a half marathon right now, and within the next few days, I’m going to sign up for my first full marathon.

When I say it out loud, it sounds a little crazy. I ran cross country in high school, but was diagnosed with a chronic illness at the very end of my senior year which has made it much more difficult to run long distances in the years since. I never really thought I could get to this point, but here I am. 

I decided to train for the Madison half marathon this summer, when I was going through a particularly tough time. I was busy, stressed and struggling through my first major heartbreak. I needed something to work towards, so I registered for the half on a whim.

Since then, I have been consistently running for the first time in four years. And I feel the best I have ever felt. 

It’s not just the physical health benefits that running brings, although those are incredibly meaningful. I feel strong and fit, my skin and hair are healthier, and my relationship with food and my body are healing.

But what is even more impactful is the mental health benefit of running. After a run, I feel ready to take on the day, and I have much less trouble focusing in class and at work. I feel less anxious and I have been sleeping so much better. I can calm my uneasy thoughts in quiet moments before bed or while studying. Although this may be in my head, I feel like my memory has improved and I am doing better in my classes than ever before. In general, I am happier and healthier both inside and out.

Odds are, if I go on a run in the morning, I will feel better afterwards than if I had not. Having a goal to work towards that is both meaningful to me and beneficial to my health and prosperity has been one of the best things I could do for myself. I was really struggling when I decided to take the leap and sign up for the half marathon, and I am so glad I did not look back. 

It feels so scary to say this and mean it, but running is addicting. After realizing how good running 10 miles makes me feel, suddenly, I want to run 20. I have this new urge to constantly reach for the next goal, the next distance, the next long run. I feel more confident in myself and my abilities. Running has really given me back my concept of self, as strange as that seems. 

So if you’re ever in a rut or feel anxious, I recommend getting your shoes on and hitting the pavement. Whether you’re running one mile or 13.1, I can almost guarantee you will feel better.

Rosie Rohrer

Wisconsin '24

I'm Rosie! I'm a junior at UW studying Political Science and Legal Studies, and I'm from Wauwatosa, WI. In my free time, I love running, reading, crocheting, and spending time with my friends!