Life > Experiences

Why I Decided to Train for the Madison Half Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

How setting a goal and sticking to it has kept me grounded this fall semester.

After last fall’s Madison Marathon, I made it a goal of mine to train for it the following year. I had put it into the universe and signed up late this past summer. Throughout my college experience, I have prioritized working out as a stress reliever. I crave the feeling of being strong and love the endorphins. However, something about having a goal to work towards has grounded me this year.

Growing up, I was a part of many sports teams. Specifically, I was a highly competitive gymnast who had to utilize every practice as a set time during my week to work towards an upcoming meet. This sense of purpose, something bigger than myself, really fueled me. I haven’t fulfilled that passion of mine since high school.

Training and building a schedule for myself this fall has been good for me. I go out on my runs knowing they are preparing me for something bigger than myself. The way I feel after each run or training session in the gym is nostalgic, which creates a sense of comfort.

I have also never felt so capable. Balancing a training schedule with school, hanging out with my friends and getting my runs in has shown me all that I can do. I also feel strong. Building up my mileage this semester has been rewarding and is transferring into my daily tasks. I truly feel unstoppable.

I have learned a lot about myself through training for the half marathon. I have learned that I am a better friend, daughter and individual when I take the time for myself every day to prepare for this goal. I have learned that I am still as mentally tough as I was when I was in my most competitive stage of gymnastics, maybe even tougher! And I have learned that the people I surround myself with are so supportive of my goals, which is something I am beyond thankful for.

If there is anything I want you to take away from this read, it is that I urge you to set a new goal for yourself while at school. It can be something small or large, but make it something that will ground you and make you proud. In a world where everyone is “go, go, go”, do something for yourself… you deserve it.

Halle Zides

Wisconsin '24

I am a sophomore in college who loves sharing the things I am passionate with like minded people- this includes: fashion, eats, workout spots and ideas, empowerment, friendship, education, and more!!