Wellness

Why Commitments Are Making You Happy But Unsatisfied

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

There are always exciting new ventures around the corner, especially in college; there are an uncountable amount of student organizations or class topics that pique your interest. What happens when you want to pursue them all? How will you ever have enough time to do them all? Once you get to do one, you’re going after another. Soon, your schedule is chalked full of interesting classes, events, club meetings. Still, you enjoy every single one of them. So why don’t you feel fulfilled? If this sounds like you, let me tell ya, you are hardcore relatable.

You can really only acquire that fulfillment and satisfaction if you stop reaching  — something the human tendency makes very difficult to do. There’s always a desire to join an event, to put your name on a sign-up sheet, to raise your hand for a volunteering position. Every time the next appealing possibility presents itself, you are on board from the get-go. That constant desire to do more, experience more, can be part of what’s driving away being content. When will it all be enough?

Don’t get me wrong, being content doesn’t mean being stationary; it doesn’t mean you have to find a routine of things you like and stick to it. It means that you have to keep that passion of yours alive and in focus, by naturally coming upon and participating in the occasions that draw your interest.

To fully embrace those experiences, it’s important that you’re content with with yourself. That sense of contentment creates a strong foundation for fulfilling relationships with your passions and with those around you. When you’re not concentrating on just the outcome of your commitments — especially if you feel inadequate — you’ll find doors that open up to a plethora of new options. Being fully content with yourself and your abilities will set up an environment that enhances your satisfactions.

It’s easier said than done, I know. Try to just be still every now and then; let the thoughts, ideas, wants and needs settle in your brain, as I’m sure they’re whirling around with all your commitments. The feelings you get from all the experiences you’re striving for can get overwhelming. So, instead of seeking out every possible interest, let them come to you. Those that make their own way to you are the ones that are going to be the most nourishing. Deciding to be content and fulfilled on your own provides the ability to explore other options. So what if a pottery social for one of your favorite clubs doesn’t end in the best way — whether that be a cancellation or a wonky creation (yes, I’m talking about you — you beautiful lopsided bowl, cup, flowerpot .. thing)? It has already opened the door to a possible endeavors; that is, the opportunity to sharpen your pottery practice. There will always be another chance to experience the events you missed, and there will always be another one happening that will spark some joy in you.

Go after what you’re passionate about, without overthinking about all the result that could come with it. Focus on the process and what you are bringing to the table: how you are shaping the effect these engagements have on you?

Kelsey is studying Journalism and Mass Communications at the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a specific passion for Sports Communication. Catch her on campus with a coffee glued to her hand, baseball on the brain (go Cubs!), and one earbud in. If you ever want to talk about sports, music, dogs, or anything, she is always open for good conversation.