An Ode to the Newly Renovated Starbucks on State Street

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Unless you’ve been avoiding State Street since the beginning of this semester, you should’ve noticed the ghost town that was once the State Street Starbucks. College students sighed in grief at the end of last semester when Starbucks announced it would be closing its doors until Mid-February for a remodel.

At first, many students, including myself, were appalled by this news. How could they take away Starbucks?! Sure, there’s no shortage of coffee on and around this campus, but sometimes all a girl really needs is her favorite grande Iced Caramel Macchiato with skim milk.

Maybe it was because the old Starbucks was cluttered? Maybe it was because of how difficult it was to find a seat at any time of day? Maybe it was because there was no guarantee you’d be able to connect to its notoriously instable Wi-Fi even when you finally found a seat? So, after the initial shock, I think we could all agree that it was a much-needed upgrade.

Let me just say one thing: the upgrade did not disappoint. When I entered the new Starbucks on their grand reopening day (not even sorry about it), I was immediately taken away by how nice the store looked. The yellow walls, coupled with flowers and flamingos as decorations, made it feel as if it’s permanently spring in the cafe. I’ve been in a lot of Starbucks over the years (still not sorry about it), and still, I’ve yet to see one that’s more inviting than this one! The colors make the cafe instant mood booster.

Worried about seating? No fear! Instead of multiple small tables, they now have multiple bars upstairs and downstairs. They’re really maximized the seating space. They also have comfy booths right next to the window downstairs — great spot for if you feel more like people-watching than you do actually doing your homework…

They’ve also moved their registers to the back of the store. Although it may be a little confusing at first, this move really helps clean out the cluster of people you used to see waiting for their drink. They also have an incredible shelf that holds all online orders in alphabetical order! Starbucks has truly thought of everything during this remodel, and I couldn’t be more impressed with the outcome. I haven’t had Wi-Fi issues, and I’ve been able to find a seat every time I’ve gone in. So thanks, Starbucks,  for the upgrade. Although I was upset at first, I found that you can really make something good even better (also holds true to multiple drinks within your company).

Happy sipping!

Hi, I'm Abby Coppens, a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison. I'm pursuing a degree in Economics and Retail. In my free time, I really enjoying hanging out with my friends and family, doing homework, biking, and reading. I'm the biggest friends fanatic on the planet. Go Badgers!