This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

7 ways I’ve glorified my shower experience

bRING A BEVERAGE

This is life changing. For some context, this little habit originated in high school. There was a myth at my boarding school that if you brought an orange with you in the shower, peeled it by hand, and ate the whole thing, the strong citrus scent of the peel mixed with the steam would help with depression. I have no idea where that originated or if it had any factual elements whatsoever, but I obviously had to try it. Miraculously, it did not help my depression at all. It did however feel like I was breaking some kind of very serious, albeit arbitrary, rule of bringing food in the shower. I forget that there are a lot of rules I’ve sort of made up in my head just because no one explicitly told me that I could do something. 

Actual food in the shower felt too strange to me, so I only tried this one time. It was then, though, that I started to bring little beverages with me in the shower. The first time, I cracked open a San Pellegrino before a shower, and I was afraid that it would lose its carbonation by the time I came back, I just brought it with me. Best decision of my life. It is now a staple in my shower experience. A lot of the time, I just bring ice-cold lemon water with me for an extra refreshing effect, but on particularly long days I love to bring a Strawberry Fanta, La Croix, or Diet Coke as a little treat.

Massage your scalp from the back to the front

Even when I was completely content with the length of my hair and had no interest in having it any shorter, I used to schedule haircuts just because I was craving the feeling of someone else washing my hair. The approximately 10 minutes that my hairdresser spends massaging the shampoo into my scalp before a trim is hands down my favorite thing ever. I don’t even mind paying the full price of a haircut or dealing with too-short hair every couple of months just to experience it. However, I found out that if I turn my hands around when washing my own scalp and wash my hair with the angle that a hairdresser would use, I can pretty much recreate the feeling myself. 

When I apply shampoo, instead of starting with my hands at the hairline with my fingers working backward toward the crown of my head, I start at the crown with my fingers working forward. This direction stimulates your roots in a completely different way, and it will help you to relieve more tension. Also, be sure that you’re using the tips of your fingers and keeping your nails far away to avoid scratching your scalp. Don’t forget about the hair at the nape of your neck, too; make sure you also do a few passes from the nape of your neck up to the crown of your head. 

Lather up your shampoo beforehand

Most shampoos are too concentrated, and you’ll feel a buildup in your scalp within a day or two of a wash if you don’t prepare your shampoo before applying it to your hair. This is especially important with salon-grade or curly-hair products because they tend to be more concentrated than drugstore shampoos. Instead of plopping a dollop of shampoo directly on your head and dispersing it around, emulsify it beforehand. The suggested approach is to rub your shampoo together in your wet hands until it’s lathered and less thick and then massage it into your scalp. This mixes the shampoo with water to activate it, which helps with the application process and also makes it easier to wash out. This ensures that no unactivated molecules are clinging to your roots, causing your hair to become oily again too soon.

CLEAN YOUR RAZOR

Regardless of how often you shave, it’s important to clean your razor regularly. Disposable razors should be rinsed after each use and then thrown away after about a month. Also, make sure that razors are kept in a dry place after each shower (not in a puddle of water on the ledge of the tub) to make sure that they do not become moldy. If you use an electric razor, empty any hair particles from the blade after each use and wash the blade with soap and water in the sink. Otherwise, bacteria will fester and you will spread it all over your body the next time you use it (ew).

Areas YOU’RE PROBABLY FORGETTING TO WASH

The bottoms of your feet, behind your knees, behind your ears, the back of your neck, and your belly button!!!!!! Bacteria collects on your body more than you’d like to think, and I assure you that the water running over these areas in the shower is not enough. Take the extra minute or two to really scrub down these spots; your whole body deserves to feel clean! Your pores will thank me later (and so will anybody who’s noticed your B.O. more than you have). 

END WITH COLD WATER

There is an unbelievable amount of science behind cold showers. They’re incredibly beneficial for your health and can help with everything from circulation, metabolism and stress relief. I don’t have it in me to completely eradicate hot showers, because I am of the personal belief that the scorching water heals my soul, but I do always end my showers with a few minutes of cold water. I usually shampoo, condition, wash my body and then turn the water cold for the last few minutes while I rinse the conditioner out of my hair. I try to keep the water as cold as possible until I’ve regained control over my breath. It feels incredibly grounding, and it allows for all of my muscles to drop their tension as I focus on just breathing through the cold.

Moisturize immediately after

Find a scent and texture that feels good on your skin and invest in keeping yourself nourished and hydrated. I’ve found that I hate feeling greasy after applying lotion, and especially hate that my pajama pants stick to my legs after I moisturize, so I never really took the time to before.

I spend all day long looking forward to my evening shower. It’s become a tool I use to reset my body and mind. Some days I even come home during a break in my class schedule to shower if my morning was particularly rough because it allows me to start over and salvage the rest of the day. We all have to shower anyway, so it’s worth it to work on making it a more positive and wellness-driven aspect of your daily routine. 

Serena Gacek

Wisconsin '26

Serena is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying Biology. Outside of Her Campus, she can be found going for runs down the Lake Monona Loop, cheffing up a delicious new Pinterest recipe, or grinding on homework at the Union with her roomie!!! This is her second year with Her Campus and she is absolutely LOVING this community of wonderful girls <33 go badgers!