Wellness > Mental Health

How To Take Care of Your Mental Health During These Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Mental health is something that’s not talked about, or prioritized, as much as it should be. During these times, when so many people are in isolation and not able to do the things they used to, it’s still so important to designate time for ourselves. Here are some ways to give yourself a little boost. 

Try to have separation between work and home

This is one of the hardest things to do right now; It’s challenging to differentiate between “work” life and “home” life, especially if you are doing work or school in the same place. If it is possible for you, try to create a physical separation between these two places. For example, if there are study spaces that you can work in, or other (socially distanced!) spaces that are available, those are great options. When there’s no separation between these two, it can feel like you’re “always” at work- even when you’re home. Try and create boundaries between these two spaces, if possible.

Get outside!

In recent months, so many of us have been spending more time indoors than we used to. However, options to go outside and go to new places are harder than it used to be. With the weather getting colder (especially here in Wisconsin!), there are fewer opportunities. With that being said, if it is possible for you, try to get outside (whether it be taking a walk, exploring a new park or even running an errand) every day. Having sunshine is so important and it’s always a good idea to get a change of scenery. 

Move your body 

This is always a great option for your mental health, but even more important now. So many of us are sitting at desks and looking at a screen all day and not moving as much as we used to. Moving your body, even just for 15 minutes – whether it be taking a walk, doing yoga or having a cardio blast- can be a great way to take a break and clear your head. 

Connect with your friends (socially distanced!)

Having a support system is so important right now. Socializing is very different than it used to be, so options to hang out with friends are clearly limited. However, it’s still imperative to maintain social connections and relationships during this time, especially for your mental health. Taking a (socially distanced!) walk with a friend, or even calling or FaceTiming someone is a great option. 

Explore new types of media (music, movies, podcasts, etc).

Free time is definitely limited right now, and when we do have free time, it can be challenging to know what to do with it. If you’re someone who’s really into music or movies,  this can be a great time to explore new types of media. Personally, I love finding new music and making a playlist and then going on a walk and listening to it. If this appeals to you, it can be another great outlet!

Give yourself a break 

It’s hard to allow ourselves to take a break. This is only exacerbated now, when it feels like there is always more work to do and our free time is limited in general. It’s important to validate this and recognize that there is so much going on every single day. We need to remember to prioritize our mental health and check in with ourselves. So, try to take a five minute break every so often in the middle of your work or school day. Personally, if I’ve been sitting and working for a while, I like to stand up and stretch, or even take a walk around the house. 

Explore new places

If this is an option for you, exploring new places can be a really fun thing to do. Personally, I love Googling new parks and gardens nearby and bringing a book while I sit there. If nature isn’t your thing, try walking to a new coffee shop or another cool place. Finding new places and having new experiences is still possible now, as long as you’re being safe and taking COVID precautions!

Meditate!

Full disclosure, I find meditation very challenging. Truthfully, it’s hard to sit in silence for 10-15 minutes. In the past few months, though, I’ve tried to lean into meditation and incorporate it into my routine as much as possible. Having a break in the day can be really beneficial, especially when it feels like there’s always something to do or something to pay attention to. If you are interested in getting into meditation, start slowly. Even three minutes a day can make a difference!

Ask a family member for a recipe

Cooking in general can be a great outlet during this time. If you’re not living with your family right now, reach out and ask for a family recipe to try and cook on your own. Not only is this a creative outlet, but it can also allow you to feel connected to your family during these times. 

Have grace with yourself (understand that this is hard)

All of these options are great, if you’re able to do them. However, the most important thing is to have grace with yourself and be kind to yourself during this time. It’s so important for us to prioritize our mental health and make sure that we are checking in with ourselves routinely during these times.

Hopefully this provided you with some new strategies to cope and help prioritize yourself during this time. Of course, these are unprecedented times. The most important thing we can do is to be kind to ourselves and do the best we can.

Ila Schrecker

Wisconsin '23

Hello! I am a sophomore at UW Madison studying Communication Arts and English. I love hot yoga, coffee, and baking.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!