samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Rebound from a Rough Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

While the majority of exam season is behind us, you’re oftentimes left with one thought: that didn’t go well at all. Most of your friends and peers go through the post-midterm slump after doing poorly on an exam or two. In fact, it’s probably more common than you think. That doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world, however (even though it might feel like it). 

Acknowledge It

It’s easy to see the bad grade on Canvas and get down. Yes, you didn’t do too hot, but you still have a final to take and potentially a paper or two to write. Realize that something you did while studying didn’t work out. Trying to figure out what went wrong is the first step to being able to move on. 

Reach Out  

Once you get your exam back, look at what you got wrong and try to find some sort of pattern within your mistakes. Being able to identify a topic that wasn’t your strong suit is a step in the right direction. If you have further questions, one of the best things to do is to meet with your TA or professor and discuss your exam. Going to office hours can be extremely helpful and will help clarify any questions you have before the exam. Creating study groups with your classmates might also be a good idea and a great way to review. Reaching out for help especially when you feel like you’ve hit a low is incredibly important. 

Find a Balance  Sometimes you just have to reevaluate your life. You’re at the right time to see if you have a proper balance between all components of your life. If you focus too much on your social life, your academics might take a toll. On the other hand, studying all the time and not seeing your friends here and there might be chipping into your grades. Find a time to study and find a time to have fun. For me, I find that being around my friends and doing homework (even if all of our earbuds are in) works well. You get some work done but you also spend time together. 

Keep Trying  It’s easy to give up after you get a 50% on an exam. However, you might be lucky and have a curved class. Not all hope is gone. Although at this point in the semester it’s probably too late to drop your class, you can always bounce back. I’ve had friends rock-solid C’s the entire semester and somehow come back on top with an A or AB in the class. Take the score and use that to push you to work harder! 

It’s hard to come back after feeling so defeated from that o-chem exam but I promise you’ll be okay. Have fun and make sure you keep working hard. We’re close to the end of this semester and the next few weeks will fly by; as long as you start planning now everything will work out.   

Jenny Patino is currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin double majoring in marketing and management & Human Resources. She enjoys traveling, cooking, exploring new coffee shops, watching an abundance of soccer, and keeping herself busy with student orgs. You can keep up with her on Twitter (@/jennyxpatino) and Instagram (@/Jenny_patino).
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.