How the Netflix Show Queer Eye Improved my Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I had always heard of the TV show Queer Eye but I had never gotten into it. I tried watching the first episode when it came to Netflix, but I fell asleep and never went back to it. I was reintroduced to Queer Eye through Taylor Swift’s music video for “You Need to Calm Down” as the cast was in the video. I started watching it and the only regret I have now is that I didn’t start watching it sooner. Watching Queer Eye has improved my mental health significantly without me even realizing it was happening.

self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

For those of you who have never seen Queer Eye, it is a show where five gay men, coined “The Fab 5”, makeover someone’s entire life. The Fab 5 is made up of Karamo Brown who specializes in lifestyle and culture, Bobby Berk who specializes in interior design, Jonathan Van Ness who specializes in beauty and grooming, Tan France who specializes in fashion, and Antoni Porowski who specializes in food and wine. 

As I was watching this show, I found myself willing to make small lifestyle changes. I watched Tan revamp someone’s wardrobe, and I found myself shopping for new clothes. I watched Jonathan do face masks, and I found myself changing and sticking to a new skincare routine. I watched Antoni cook, and I found myself making healthier food choices. I watched Bobby redecorate rooms, and I found myself cleaning and reorganizing my room. I watched Karamo life coach, and I found myself wanting to get ahead on my homework and work out more often. As I watched each of these guys help someone else, I found them indirectly helping me become my best self. 

Hygge Header
Stella Rose on Unsplash

Now I watch Queer Eye when I need inspiration. It inspires me in my everyday life to imagine what advice they would give me. Through watching this show, my mental health has improved drastically as I have found the motivation to make the small lifestyle changes that I needed to make. 

Strong Arms Girl
Her Campus Media

Courtney Shady

Wisconsin '23

Courtney is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying psychology, education, and gender and women’s studies. She is from the suburbs of Milwaukee. In her free time, she enjoys drinking coffee, going to concerts, and loves hanging out with friends.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.