How to Destress During Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve experienced a breakdown during midterm season (if you’re wondering, it’s at least 3 times). One of my goals for this semester was to get into a better habit of decompressing before I get too overwhelmed by midterms or anything else going on in my life. I’m incredibly guilty of being the source of my own stress by procrastinating and not breaking up my study time adequately. That being said, hopefully these tips help you out during midterm season or finals. 

group of people reading and studying together at a table
Photo by Alexis Brown from Unsplash
First, make sure you take breaks. I find that trying to grind out all of your studying usually doesn’t end up too well. Whether it be a 10 minute break on your phone or going out and getting dinner with friends, make sure you’re not trying to cram everything in at once. 

I find that I’m the most productive when I’m around friends. I personally like to study inside of the Grainger Hall Cafe, which for some people is too loud. However, being able to chat if need be is perfect for me. I’ve gotten into a pretty good habit of getting together with friends to either study or work independently. A lot of my friends are business majors, so I’m lucky that some of them have taken classes I’m currently in, which means that I’m able to ask them questions. This isn’t for everyone, but at least it gives me a way to socialize while also getting my work done and preparing myself for my exams. 

Woman Lying on White Textile With Sliced Cucumbers on Her Eyes
Breakingpic from Pexels
The whole “treat yo self” mentality is something I never fully understood. However, I’ve practiced it to an extent this semester. In addition to taking breaks, I’ve been able to distress by watching an episode of whatever series my house is watching, doing some self-care with face masks, getting a drink from Starbucks, or eating Qdoba. Not exactly the healthiest, but little things like that have taken me a long way from overworking myself and being stressed beyond belief. 

Girl Lying On Bed
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus
Ultimately, It’s okay to cry. Sometimes, you just have to do it and get it over with. Personally, I find that building everything up and waiting until the final straw isn’t that healthy for you, especially if it’s happening consistently. I’ve found a lot of relief in talking to my roommates or friends about the stress I’m experiencing. Just being able to vent has been a huge asset into progressing during midterms. 

Summer is nearly upon us and soon enough the stress from exams and papers will come to a close. Think about it this way: by this point in the semester you’ve probably taken an exam already and are almost at the finish line. Hang in there!  

Jenny Patino is currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin double majoring in marketing and management & Human Resources. She enjoys traveling, cooking, exploring new coffee shops, watching an abundance of soccer, and keeping herself busy with student orgs. You can keep up with her on Twitter (@/jennyxpatino) and Instagram (@/Jenny_patino).
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.