This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve had sushi a million times. After that million and first time, you may want to change it up! Look no further than poke — it’s sushi, just with more food and less mess. 

To get started on your poke kick, check out Fresh Fin (under The James on West Gorham Street). Luckily for me, it’s right next door to my apartment, so you’d best believe I had it twice the first week that it was open!

The first time I went to Fresh Fin, I tried the BYOB, or Build Your Own Bowl. While it is a bit pricier than the classic bowls, your taste buds will thank you (if you choose the right ingredients). For my bowl, I ordered shrimp with brown rice, cilantro lime sauce, and a decent amount of other toppings, including mango and carrots. If you’re not sure what something is or what sauce to choose, the staff know their stuff and are happy to walk you through your order and answer any questions. The only thing that could’ve been better about this order was the sauce; cilantro-lime didn’t sound at all spicy at first, but it was making my nose run a bit. Be sure to ask about a sauce if, like me, you’re not the biggest fan of spice!

I went a second time during the week because I checked my phone and there was a dollar bowl Red Card promotion; how could I resist? While the line was long, it was well worth it. I got a $9.95 bowl for a dollar, so what’s not to be happy about? This time I tried the spicy tuna bowl, which was a clear winner for me. Spicy tuna is one of Fresh Fin’s signature bowls, so I assumed it must be tasty. I would recommend it to any sushi lover. It tasted exactly like a spicy tuna roll in a bowl and left me full! The rice was also still warm which was an added bonus. 

If you’re a lover of sushi and delicious healthy food, I would highly recommend Fresh Fin! However, it might have to be the occasional indulgence; the cheapest bowl starts at around $10, while the more expensive ones can get up to $15. However, Fresh Fin is definitely a can’t miss!

Holly is a junior at UW-Madison studying Strategic Communication with a Digital Studies certificate. She is originally from Minneapolis, MN, loves iced coffee, indie music, and warm days on the terrace, and has watched the entirety of The Office three times. She is a Managing Editor for HC Wisconsin and will be heading to London this spring for a semester abroad! 
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!