Best Places to Nap around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s getting to that time of the year: it’s cold, gloomy, and all we really want are our beds. My motivation is unbelievably and depressingly low, and the last thing on my mind is putting my brain to work. I know exactly what I need when I start dozing off in lecture, but I also only have one-hour-long breaks in between my long day of classes. Sadly, that means no going home to grab food, relax, or close my eyes. So what do I do? Find a comfy spot on campus! If you’re any at all like me and absolutely can’t make it through your day without taking a little snooze, check out the best rated places to nap— it will help you be that hard-working Badger you’re meant to be.

1. In your room

Obviously take advantage of this spot if you can and if you have time. If you’re a freshman and you live on campus, you can easily nap in your dorm! This option is without a doubt the best of the best. The quietest and comfiest.

Rating: Easy 5 stars

1. On benches in Humanities

Definitely not the most comfortable; but it’s doable and will get the job done. As long as you lie in an area with less traffic— like my favorite, the third floor or higher— not many people will notice you. I recommend using your backpack as a pillow, it will make your experience a little better! I have a picture of me doing this to prove I’ve actually done this, but I’m just going to spare myself some embarrassment.

Rating: 3.5 stars

1. Historical Society Library

It has super comfy couches and chairs with a footrest. My favorite is to grab a footrest, act like I’m reading a book, slouch down, and hide in my book until my eyes close (if you really want to be strategic, wear a baseball cap and no one will even notice). Historical has a comfy, cozy vibe to it and is for the most part, silent. It also doesn’t allow food, so you don’t have to worry about someone waking you up with their obnoxious crunching.

Rating: 4 stars… maybe

1. UpperHouse

Don’t go here if you want to do homework because you will only end up wanting to nap! I think it’s ironic how this “study spot” is only open during the day— it’s obvious they made this for napping and relaxing in between classes. I go here specifically between classes if I know I need to take a minute away from school. You walk in and all you see are couches and lots of pillows. They also have a swinging chair that I’m still in the process of trying out (it’s always being used but looks so comfortable). Not a lot of people are here during the open hours, so this is a great spot to start if you’re just starting to take naps in public.

Rating: 5 stars

1. The Student Activity Center (SAC)

The SAC also provides many couches and hide-away spots. However, it is fairly busy day and night so it might be a little embarrassing (plus, your fellow peers will probably judge you). They do have many spots where you can just put your head down and chill, though.

Rating: 3 stars

1. College Library

If you’re like any other UW student, you most likely hate College. You continue to force yourself to study over there, still. I never feel bad about closing my eyes here because I can almost always count on someone else doing it too. They have comfy chairs on the first floor where you can take a siesta. However, nothing beats my favorite individual cubbies in the 2nd or 3rd floor quiet section. It’s quiet, and you can just set your head down and not have to worry about anyone really seeing you or your face. Unfortunately, your neighbor could be loudly crunching away on some carrots.

Rating: Maybe 4 stars

Even if you’re a little nervous to nap in public, don’t be! We’re all college students here—we all lose sleep. We all (OK, maybe just me) suck at waking up early and want to nap the minute we wake up. Truth be told, we all just need a little time to relax sometimes. As a napping professional, I recommend trying out some of these places the next time you find yourself getting sleepy during lectures and need a little refueling. Twenty minutes in one of these amazing nap spots, and you’ll be ready to tackle anything in your day!

Food lover - dance enthusiast - professional napper.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!