ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Ways to Handle Burnout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

There are a lot of things that can set an individual into a spin of intense self doubt, overwork and (eventually) burnout. Some of those include the pressure of seeing other people succeed, expecting yourself to perform perfectly and filling your schedule so that you have a task to do every minute of every day. Burnout is real. Burnout will put you into a spiral of negativity. If you feel yourself falling into that tunnel of darkness and doubt, read this.

Free up your schedule.

Sometimes you need to look at your schedule and take something out. When you’re overloaded, you’ll notice your quality of work declining. It’s okay to quit something, whether that be your second (or third) job, one of your student organizations or even dropping a class. Your employer or student org will be understanding of your situation and it’ll be a happy ending (if not, you should be happy you left).

Spend time on something you love.

After you free up some schedule time, do something that you love. When you’re grinding it out, you stop watching your favorite shows, doing hobbies,  eating healthy and working out — incorporate these things into your newfound free time. The happiness you get from your favorite activities truly shows through.

You are a student first.

Be honest with organization leaders, professors and your boss. They know you’re a student first and should be flexible with you. If you need time to focus on an assignment, be honest. Ask your boss to lighten the load for the week or for a day off. Meet with your professor if know that you’ll be skipping a lecture to finish an assignment. Let your student org know that you’ll have to take a break and miss a meeting or an event for another obligation. It’s important to be proactive and honest. It’s also important to recognize that you’re at UW-Madison for a reason: to graduate, not work yourself to death.

Your mental health matters.

For some people, the idea of mental health still seems like a silly notion — a sign of weakness since it’s not a visible injury or sickness. When you experience burnout, it’s a mental health crisis and it’s real. You’ll face your own stigma towards mental health and maybe stigma from your family or friends. It’s not a weakness; it’s valid and you should take the time to utilize free services on campus. Talking through things with a professional will be more beneficial than turning to alcohol (or other substances) or not addressing the issue at all which will make for a more severe problem down the road.

Write down your goals.

Take this learning point in life to rethink your goals: short-term and long-term. Make sure what you’re doing with your time is for you and not for others. I’ve personally been in a position where I was more focused on what others wanted me to do than what I wanted to do; I had to take some time to rethink exactly what I wanted. It’s a bad place to be when you wake up in the morning wondering if anything you’re doing matters. So, sit down and write down your goals. Then, think about how you’ll achieve them. This will give you a fresh path and somewhat of a fresh start. See the S.M.A.R.T. goal image above.

If you’re experiencing a burnout or breaking point, remember these five things and get yourself healthy and back on track in no time.

Hi everyone! I'm Stephanie Hoff, a graduate of UW-Madison as of December 15, 2019. My degree is life sciences communication which is all things communications from journalism to broadcast to marketing with an emphasis on tough topics like science and agriculture. I also have certificates in folklore which is an ethnographic, cultural studies discipline, and entrepreneurship, because I wanted to learn how to use my work ethic and professional skills in a start up setting. I have a great mix of interests because I have a great mix of experiences that make me an open-minded, well-rounded individual who is excited about learning and communicating. Follow me on Twitter and LinkedIn to learn more about me and to find my online portfolio.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.