etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things To Do Every Day to Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Starting 2020 on a positive note is much easier than you might think. Small additions to your routine can change your mood and your day. Try these 5 simple things to boost your confidence and show yourself a little love!

Smile at the Mirror

Too often, we are our own worst critic. Judging the way clothing fits, how clear our skin is, how our hair looks today and everything in between. It’s easy to nitpick the things we don’t like, but it’s even easier to just smile at yourself instead of over analyzing. It helps you to view yourself in a more positive light and doesn’t let you get bogged down by your insecurities.

Ask Your Body What it Needs

How can I be successful today? Do I need to get extra caffeine? Should I wear a cute outfit? Take the morning off? Too often the solution to stress and anxiety is ignoring the signals your body is sending. It’s okay to slow down, take breaks, eat some sweets, or take a nap.  Instead of ignoring these needs, ask yourself questions and listen to what you need.

Allow Room For Mistakes

If you are constantly reaching for perfection, you’ll always fall short. It’s better to set reasonable yet challenging goals for yourself. This allows you to work towards something yet still feel accomplished when you finally achieve it. This eliminates setting impossible goals that just discourage you even further when you are unable to complete them. Remember, your best is always good enough.

Surround Yourself With Positivity

A positive environment cannot be formed surrounded by negativity. Take time to acknowledge parts of your life that are causing unnecessary harm, whether that be people or situations. Your well-being should always come first. Vice versa, devote extra time to things and people who lift you up. This will create a welcoming atmosphere for you to grow.

End Each Day With The Positives

Not every minute of every day has to be great, but end the day thinking about what went well. Before bed remind yourself of three good things that happened throughout the day, no matter how small or insignificant they seem. Putting yourself in a good mindset before bed makes you more positive and optimistic for tomorrow.

As simple as it seems, including these five steps into your daily routine can change your relationship with yourself and others. Make 2020 your year of positivity and love in the easiest way possible.

Jessa Stecker

Wisconsin '22

University of Wisconsin-Madison Dog enthusiast
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.