This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

This past year was definitely one to remember. Although I’ve seen a number of posts on social media from people saying that 2019 was the worst year of their life, I on the other hand might have had one of the best. Don’t get me wrong, there were some hard times, but this past year was one of the most rewarding and allowed me to learn a lot.

Time Management Will Be Your Best Friend

I often times struggled with managing my time and especially with a full class load, seeing friends and extracurriculars. I found myself making different schedules and using my planner more than ever. Getting into that routine was hard initially, but once I actually started realizing that procrastinating wasn’t cutting it, it made it a lot easier to start to manage my time.

It’s Okay to Outgrow People

This is one I struggled with a lot. You do a lot of growing in college and it’s normal to outgrow people who have been in your life for months and years, like friends from home. It doesn’t mean you don’t care about them, but you definitely change your closest friend circle throughout your life. It can be hard to go through, but it’s not wrong.

Stepping Out of Your Comfort Zone Takes You Places

I joined a student org where I knew absolutely no one and it ended up being one of the best decisions I’ve made. I’ve met some of my best friends, traveled across the country and have genuinely learned a lot. You go through a lot of uncomfortableness in college and overcoming it  feels really great.

Taking a Break From Life is Important

The whole ‘self-care’ thing is something I never really did for myself. This year I found myself taking time for myself and really enjoying being on my own.

Live in the Moment

Getting off your phone and enjoying those memories is actually really important. I think we all get caught up in social media and wanting to document everything. However, it’s important to actually enjoy the time you’re spending with friends and family.

With 2020 already here, it’ll definitely be another year of growth, change, and hopefully limited procrastination.

Jenny Patino is currently a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin double majoring in marketing and management & Human Resources. She enjoys traveling, cooking, exploring new coffee shops, watching an abundance of soccer, and keeping herself busy with student orgs. You can keep up with her on Twitter (@/jennyxpatino) and Instagram (@/Jenny_patino).
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.