This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Imagine this: you take months and months developing good habits and working toward your goals. You are finally beginning to see big changes in your productivity, health, happiness and over all Girl Boss-ness. Suddenly, COVID-19 strikes and wreaks complete havoc on the world. Oh wait, we don’t really have to imagine this scenario, as it has quickly become a reality. With such a large scale panic, it can be hard to hold fast to your Girl Boss habits. Here are a few tips that have been helping me stay motivated during this quarantine.

The Block Schedule

The most important tip I can give you is this: Prioritize implementing a routine into your life. You’re hearing this from everyone, I know, but it is the hardest yet most impactful habit you can develop while working from home. One of the easiest techniques for maintaining a routine is to create a block schedule. With the block schedule, you break down your day into 2-3 hour periods. Give each period a unique name with specific tasks to complete during that time. Maybe set your alarm for two hours, get as much done as you can from your block, and move on to the next one. It can be so easy to scroll through Instagram or Tik Tok for hours, but if you block out time for Tik Tok rather than making your day a free for all, you will be so much more productive. You can even create a block schedule unique to each day (though you should try to make it somewhat similar) to reflect your school schedule. If you decide to make daily block schedules, try to watch lectures or do homework during your normal class time. 

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

My second tip revolves around the phrase, “out of sight, out of mind,” and, vice versa: “in sight, in mind.” Is that a phrase? I don’t think so, but it should be! Attempting to be your most productive, healthy self while surrounded by distractions like your bed, your TV or your refrigerator can feel impossible. To avoid such distractions, try to limit your exposure to them. Personally, I have learned that I am not productive when working either in my bed or at my desk right next to my bed. When I work in another location, taking a nap never even crosses my mind. Similarly, it can be extremely helpful to leave your phone in another room or on Do Not Disturb mode. On the contrary, if you’re trying to find the motivation to add a healthy habit to your life, make a tangible reminder of that task very salient to you. I have been leaving my yoga mat out in my room as a constant reminder to do something – even if it’s just a quick stretch in between blocks. Make the healthy habits easy and accessible while  also making the temptations far, far away. 

Power Clean

Sometimes life gets ahead of us, and both busy days and lazy days can result in a mess. It is nearly impossible to get things done in a messy space. The easiest way to avoid the accumulation of a mess is to clean as you go; when you finish brewing coffee, put away your coffee machine right away. Wipe up the counter while your cookies are in the oven, and put your laundry away right after you fold it. If you can’t clean messes on the fly, block out fifteen minutes every day to do a “Power Clean”. Think about it, everyone has fifteen minutes to do a quick clean, and you would be surprised how much you can get done in those fifteen minutes. Plus, sometimes you just need to get started in order to gain the motivation to do more heavy duty cleaning. Those fifteen minutes can easily turn into an hour, but remember that doing something is better than nothing. 

Aroma Conditioning 

I’ve said it once, and I will say it again: the key to productivity is making use of your time. The first few days of quarantine, I found myself watching Tik Tok until three a.m., only to waste the entire next day sleeping. Force yourself to get up at 7:00 or 8:00 a.m. one morning, and you can start to change your sleep schedule. It only takes a few days to change it (for better or for worse, right?)! One of the things that has helped me wake up early on those days when my bed feels like what I would imagine a cloud feels like is actually using aroma conditioning. Diffusing orange essential oil first thing in the morning can be a sure way to force you out of bed. Personally, I like to scatter some orange essential oil in my morning shower; the shower acts as a natural diffuser, waking me up in just five minutes. If you shower at night, you can sprinkle in lavender! I also use two different candle scents: an energizing fruity aroma during the work day and a calming, serene scent when I am beginning to settle down for the night. I’ve found that pairing an aroma with a time of day can help trigger my brain to either focus or relax. I seriously recommend trying this aroma conditioning practice! 

Movement

The final words of wisdom I will impart on you are these: move. your. body. Remember that all movement is good movement! You can stretch, do some yoga, go for a run, walk around the block, walk around the house, bike, dance, watch at home workouts, try zumba or even buy a Peloton. For 30 minutes at least once a day, engage your mind and body in movement of any kind. You need to keep your brain working in order to work productively and you need to fatigue your body in order to fall asleep at night. Nike, Peloton and many Yoga subscriptions are free during this time. Facetime a friend or move in solitude. Remember: all movement is good movement. 

If you’re feeling overwhelmed, that’s okay! Some days will be harder than others, and having those lazy, anxious days are normal even during normal times. My departing tip is this: Be kind to yourself. Do your best to feel your best, and listen to your body and mind. Do not leave the news on all day, because if you do, you are doomed to become overwhelmed with fear and sadness. Try your best to do the things that make you feel your best. Try to implement these tips into your day, and I promise you’ll see and feel the results! 

Sarah McLeod

Wisconsin '22

Sarah is currently studying English, Psychology and Gender & Women's studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Wisconsin born and raised, she loves reading, coffee and spending time with her friends and family.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.