5 Apps for the Stressed Out Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

We all get stressed out here and there. We are getting back into the swing of things with the beginning of the school year and stress levels are rising. Being a student is all about balance, and sometimes we lose sight of that balance. Self care is #1 and there are a few apps that I have found to be helpful.

1. #SelfCare

This app is about learning how to take a break from daily stressors and take time for yourself. It’s a game that lets you pretend you are spending the day in bed. From petting a sleeping cat to pulling a tarot card for a daily reading, the game is focused on relaxation. My favorite thing about this app is that there is no point system or winning, it’s just to improve your mindset.

2. Headspace

Meditation is key for a clearer and happier mind. Taking a break from the world and focusing in on oneself is an act that should be made into a daily habit. Breathing has a great impact on the nervous system and learning how to breathe to calm down is important in our hectic student lives. Meditating at the same time every day is the best way to start and you can start with as little as 3 minutes and work up to more. I like this app because it is easy to follow and simple to use, however, only the basics session is free.

3. Tide

This lovely app has ocean sounds for focusing, an alarm that wakes you up lightly instead of the abrupt iPhone alarm, and has a controlled breathing session. Breathing is something we do without thinking, and when we are stressed our breathing quickens, increasing our heart rate, and making us feel anxious. Taking the time to slow our breath and learn different breathing patterns can help calm us down in stressful situations.

4. Meditation Game

Another game with no points or winning. Following the guidance of the app, you focus on tilting your phone to collect orbs of energy while again, changing your breathing. This is a great game to take a break and get your mind off of school or whatever else might be stressing you out.

5. What’s Up

This is a great app for people that are struggling with anxiety, depression, and stress. It has a “Help Right Now” section which includes a grounding technique in a game format, breathing techniques, and putting your problems into perspective to try and see that it might not be as bad as you feel it is at first. It also has coping strategies as well as an area to track how you’re feeling as well as your positive and negative habits.

1 in 5 college students have anxiety or depression, you are not alone! It may be confusing and hard to explain to others but you will get through it. Day by day make tiny improvements, these apps will hopefully be able to help with that. HCXO, you got this!

Laura Dirk

Wisconsin '21

Hi! I am a senior at the University of Wisconsin - Madison studying biology. I am crossing my fingers to get into vet school to continue my education and follow my dream! Follow along my rollercoaster of college with me through my articles, learn new tips and tricks, learn from my mistakes, be inspired!
Erin Kleber

Wisconsin '21

Erin is majoring in Political Science and Communication Arts, with a certificate in Criminal Justice. She is a proud co-president of HC Wisconsin, and has been a member since her freshman year. When she's not writing or spending time with her HC gang, you can find her reading a good book, spending time up north, or cheering on the Badger football team.