bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Delicious Protein Shake Recipes to Jump Start Your Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Protein shakes are an incredibly versatile: you can have it after a workout, or have it just to start the day. However, on busy mornings, it can be difficult to get your fix. Plus, some shakes just unfortunately don’t taste as good as they sound. It may seem hard to believe that delicious and easy-to-make protein shakes do exist now, but these four recipes may change your mind. You might just find yourself actually looking forward to your mornings now.

1. Chai Tea Protein Shake

This recipe is not only delicious, but also incredibly easy to make — it’s my go-to protein shake! If you’re running on a tight schedule and don’t have much time to make breakfast or get your daily caffeine fix, then this recipe is for you.

• 1 scoop of protein powder of your choice (I usually go with vanilla)
  • ½ cup of milk
  • ½ cup of chai tea
  • Cinnamon (I usually don’t add cinnamon, but it gives your shake an extra bit of spice)

2. Birthday Cake Protein Shake

I’m always down for anything “cake batter” flavored, so adding this shake to the list should come as no shock. Not surprisingly, it’s absolutely delicious — it really is quite the sweet way to start your day.

• 1 cup of frozen organic banana chopped into small pieces prior to freezing
  • ¼-½ cup vanilla almond milk (adjust depending on desired texture)
  • 2 scoops of vanilla whey protein or vegan/paleo protein of choice (no sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 few drops of almond extract
  • 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon sprinkles (optional, but always fun!)

3. Strawberry Banana Protein Shake

Fruity and refreshing, this protein shake is one of my favorites. It gives me a burst of energy and fills me up at the same time.

• 1½ scoops (45g) protein powder of your choice
  • 1 cup (152g) strawberries
  • 1 medium banana
  • 8 ounces (1 cup) unsweetened vanilla almond milk (regular milk and milk substitute work, too)
  • 1 cup ice

4. Chunky Monkey Protein Shake

Any other Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey fans out there? This shake immediately caught my eye because of my love for the ice cream, but it deserves praise in its own right. Although the original recipe is made with cocoa powder, adding chocolate-flavored protein powder tastes just as great!

• 1 large frozen banana, chopped
  • 1-2 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1-2 tbsp chocolate protein powder
  • ¼-½ cup milk

Although these are only a few of the hundreds of yummy protein shake recipes online, they are the best ones that I’ve tried so far. If you end up trying any of these recipes, or if you have one that you would like to share, we’d love it if you tagged us at @hercampuswisco on Instagram or @HCWisconsin on Facebook. Happy blending!

Manisha is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin- Madison and a pre-nursing major. She is always itching to try the newest trends, whether they pertain to food, fashion, music, or any new product that claims to have an ample amount of caffeine. In her free time you could probably find Manisha online shopping, watching netflix, or avoiding her homework.