neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

12 Quick Ways to De-Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Whether it’s midterms, a long paper or some sort of project, there’s always some reason to be stressing out over how much has to be done! How are we supposed to de-stress when there’s so much to do but so little time until it’s due? Here are a few quick tips on how to de-stress when you don’t have time for a movie and a bubble bath:

1. Dance Break!

Blast your favorite song and dance around the room with your study buddies. Your favorite song to belt out is probably less than 4 minutes, which will wake you up and get rid of the tension built from sitting in one place.

2.  Eat a Snack

We would recommend a sweet one! Eating a tasty treat while doing your work might make it all seem a little less awful. And studying on an empty stomach makes everything so much worse.

3. Turn off your phone

I know most of us have never hit the power button on our iPhones, unless it’s to restart them, but when your phone is off you’re more likely to get your work done. Which is way better than checking it every two seconds and stressing whether he’s Snapchatted you back!

4. Watch a funny YouTube video

Okay, so this one kind of goes against that last point, but watching a quick YouTube video gives your brain a chance to relax, and think about something else for a few minutes.

5. Get a warm drink

Stop at the coffee shop before a study session, and get a treat besides plain coffee. After all, it is PSL season! Something with caffeine will help you stay awake, but any warm drink will warm you up and calm you down.

6. Write a to-do list

This way, you know you’re not forgetting anything. The list may look intimidating if you have a lot going on, but it’ll feel so good to cross something off your list, and it will keep you on track!

7. Plug some headphones in.

Music is a commonly known de-stressor.  You don’t need to play classical music, but maybe something a little on the softer side, so it’s not distracting.

8. Hug someone

So much stress can be relieved in a hug.

9. Study somewhere with natural light

Studying somewhere dark and enclosed (like in the Memorial Library stacks) can make you feel unmotivated. Try getting work done in a better lighted and airier area, maybe next to a window.

10. Chew gum

Gum is known to keep people focused. It also gets rid of tension held in your jaw.

11. Light a scented candle

I don’t know what it is about scented candles, but I swear they relax me the second they are lit. I’m sure studying next to one would erase some stress right away.

12. Keep your appearance up

If you look good you feel good, and it’ll be so much easier to study if you feel good.  Also, you never know who you’re going to run into at the library!

Make sure whenever you’re finally done with your test, paper, project or whatever it is that’s stressing you out, get some ice cream and go binge-watch a few episodes of your favorite show! You deserve it!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!