11 Things to do on a Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

With many people confined to their homes to ward off illness and keep others safe, now is the perfect time for a staycation. You can find things to do in your own home that will entertain and distract you from the craziness of the world.

Create a fitness goal

This will give you something to accomplish and add to your routine, so you won’t feel so bored. It can be anything from doing ten push-ups everyday to training for a run. I am going to do my pilates routine every other day.

Get things done

It is still important to get things done and not fall behind in your life. You could even get that thing done that you’ve been putting off for ages, like organizing your closet.

Journal and contact your friends

Journaling can help you process your thoughts and give you a way to vent, but if you’re not into writing you can always talk to your friends to be more connected. I am going to keep a  gratitude journal and write what I am thankful for daily.

Learn how to cook your favorite food

Cooking is a great way to spend your time, you not only pick up a new skill, but you can eat a delicious meal. Learning how to cook your favorite food is a good way to start. I want to learn how to bake a pie and make a homemade pizza.

Crafting

You can get really creative with crafts. I painted moons on cheap jeans and tie dyed another pair.

Read a book

This is a great way to spend your time. You could pick a book that was made into a movie and watch it after to see how they compare.

Spa day

Relaxing is essential on any vacation and an at home spa day is the perfect way to do it. You can give yourself a facial, paint your nails or have a bubble bath.

Online shop

Online shop to find clothes for summer, but don’t just shop at your go-to stores, find new ones.

Have a movie night

Pick a new movie or one of your favorites. Get out some snacks, make gourmet popcorn and build a pillow fort, then spend the night or day watching a great movie. I recently watched Ten Things I hate About You.

Grow a plant

Another thing you could add to your daily routine is growing a plant. You can pick a plant that can be grown indoors to brighten any room in your house. I actually am not great at this; my last jade plant died.

Try something new

You can learn a language, knit, do a puzzle or more!

It is a difficult time, but hopefully these options bring a little bit of positivity to your day! Be safe and take care of yourselves out there.

Kathryn Sobota

Wisconsin '23

UW-Madison '23
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.