“The New Yorker” Fall Covers Have Captured Autumn Perfectly for the Past 91 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I love fall, I love New York and I love The New Yorker magazine, a literary publication that was first issued in 1925. But, what I love more than anything in the world is New York and The New Yorker in the fall. If you’re anything as obsessed with comfy sweaters and scarves and colorful and crunchy leaves blowing around in the wind, then you HAVE to check out some of my favorite autumn The New Yorker covers from the past. If you weren’t excited about fall before, you will be now!

Check it out and be sure to subscribe to The New Yorker here! And remember, if you’re somebody who loves fiction and cartoons and poetry and current events and more, there’s a special deal going on for all college students for a reasonably priced subscription where you only have to pay 50 cents a week! 

October, 1926

October, 1937

October, 1946

October, 1953

October, 1955

October, 1960

October, 1976

October, 1981

November, 1997 

October, 2006

November, 2009

November, 2015

I’m dying for the leaves to change and to carve a pumpkin or two! Clearly autumn in New York hasn’t changed in the past 8 decades so if you haven’t experienced a New York fall yet, definitely put it on your to-do list. But until then, keep looking at the amazing captures of a NY fall all thanks to the fabulous New Yorker

Happy fall, Collegiettes!

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy