This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Looking to improve your health, beauty and finally relax? Then drink hot tea!

There are so many amazing benefits to drinking hot tea. Real tea does so many great things for your body as well as your mental well-being. Teas are full of antioxidants that help in treating many illnesses. When buying tea be sure you are buying real tea derived from the camellia sinensis. There is a large amount of fantastic tea types out there to help aid in most illnesses and recover immunities in your body.

Green Tea

Are you a junk food junkie at heart? Are you trying to break those 1 AM junk food cravings? Green tea helps to fight off those food cravings all while helping to burn calories. This tea is great for improving brain functions and reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. It is also good for managing diabetes, managing cholesterol, and lowers the risk of cancer. Just steep for 1-3 minutes!                                                                                                            

Oolong Tea

Looking to lose weight? Drinking Oolong tea aids in ridding fat cells of dietary fats. It has a much richer taste than the other teas. This tea keeps skin looking healthy while protecting bone material density and improving mental health performance. Oolong tea is a great tea to drink if you are in need of a stress reliever. Just steep for 3-5 minutes! 

White Tea

White tea is an excellent tea for women who are pregnant or may become pregnant because it aids in the protection of cells during pregnancy. White tea is a great tea to drink when looking for that beautiful healthy glow because it aids in maintaining healthy skin and fighting bad breath. This is also a great tea for reducing the risk of inflation, helps maintain a regular blood pressure and promotes a healthy liver. All you need to steep it for is 30-60 seconds! 

Chamomile Tea

Do you need some sleep? Did you know that drinking Chamomile tea before bed promotes sleep while reducing insomnia disorders? It’s also a great calming sedative helping to relieve stress and anger. This is a great tea to drink if you are sick with a cold, suffering from headaches or have stomach cramps. For Chamomile tea, just steep for 5-7 minutes!

Peppermint Tea

Feeling a little under the weather today? Drink Peppermint tea! It is great for healing sore bodies, relieving headaches, nausea and motion sickness. Peppermint tea aids in digestion and promotes hair growth, and you just need to steep it for 3-5 minutes.

Black Tea

Black tea is the most common tea people drink because of its high amounts of antioxidant compounds and much more. Black tea is a great tea to drink while studying because it is known to increase mental awareness and helps to prevent dizziness. Going on a date? Drinking black tea fights bad breath! It is also known to lower cholesterol as well as the risk of kidney stones and ovarian cancer. Just steep for 3-5 minutes!

Now that you know about different types of tea, here are just a few of many great tea brands you should try!

Celestial SeasoningsTazoBigelow Tea CompanyTeavana and Yogi

Grab your friends for a tea party and enjoy, Collegiettes! 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.