Career > Her20s

Balancing Internship and Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

For those that don’t know who I am, I am in the first semester of the craziest year of my life. I am a senior middle-level education major here at Winthrop University and as of the second week of August, I am in a classroom three days a week. But balancing that and classes has proven to be very, very difficult. Between creating lessons for internship and creating lessons/doing other things for class, I feel like I’m digging my own grave. I realized really fast that I needed to find things to do for me and be able to find time to destress. Here are three things that I found that have been working for me:

1. Setting boundaries
    I know that sounds really, really self-explanatory but hear me out. If you don’t find a way to set boundaries early, you will fall apart by week 3. It happened to me, that by week 3 of school (2-3 weeks ago at this point) I felt like I was drowning in both school work and work for internship. That was when I realized that I had to get my boundaries together. So that’s what I did. I set certain boundaries and am now learning how to manage different aspects of my life much better
  2. Finding things that “ground” you
    Again, I know, self-explanatory right? To most people…to me not so much. I used to work myself to the bone for the first couple of weeks. Because that’s all I knew how to do, even on the weekends. I’d hole myself up in my room only leaving for food and fresh air. But I slowly started to feel myself getting tired,
    more burnt-out. Then, I changed my perspective, I started to take short sporadic breaks to give myself a little bit of downtime. During those breaks, I would read, be on my phone, hang out with my friends, etc. I found that this was the only way that I could destress at that moment. Using those sporadic breaks gave me a way to be calmer when approaching different tasks at the moment when looking at things for internship and other classes.
  3. Surround yourself with good people
    This isn’t just for this year, this is for all of college. It wasn’t until the second semester of my freshman year that I found the people with whom I have really bonded and to whom I feel like I could bring anything. Do that; find people that will give you a healthy distraction from the thing that is called life. Sometimes you need that, to be able to get through college. So, find it, and hold on to it. Find the thing that makes you happy it will save you from going down a rabbit hole of not being able to make it through college.
    Just a reminder to anyone that is reading this, you deserve to be earning this degree. You made it through high school, and now you’re here on your way to doing what you really love. Be proud of yourself, you deserve it. Because I’m so proud of me, and that’s all I need to get me through the rest of
Shreya Jacob

Winthrop '23

Winthrop Her Campus Contributor; Middle School Major