Banana
Banana
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness > Health

Vegan Banana Bread Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

As the sun sets earlier each day, and the leaves continue to fall down, what could be better than a slice of banana bread to end your day? Growing up, my mom would make banana bread and leave it out as an after-school treat as I began to settle into the new school year. There’s nothing like coming home after a long day of school and sinking your teeth into a spongy, steaming, delicious piece of banana bread before starting homework. As of late, I’ve been finding myself missing it a lot. 

An added bonus is that this recipe is vegan; luckily, banana serves as a pretty good substitute for egg, heavily simplifying the ingredient list. But don’t worry–it tastes just as good as (if not better than) recipes with dairy!

So, without further ado, here are the instructions for the banana bread, adapted from my mom’s tried-and-true recipe!

Ingredients

• 4 bananas
  • ½  cup brown sugar
  • ½  cup white sugar
  • ¼  cup coconut oil
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • 1 ½  cups flour
  • 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder

Steps

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
  2. Create a puree from the bananas, and then add the sugar, oil, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, and nutmeg.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking powder.
  4. Pour the puree mixture into the flour bowl, and mix well to combine.
  5. Transfer into an oven-safe container, and bake for about 40 minutes.
  6. Serve and enjoy! This bread tastes good both fresh out of the oven or refrigerated.
Sally Neugarten

Williams '26

Sally Neugarten is a first-year here at Williams College and is from Ridgefield, Connecticut.