You Don’t Have to Have All of the Answers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s okay to not know what you’re going to do once that very expensive piece of paper is handed to you. It’s hard to believe that with constant questions coming from every direction at full speed.

“What do you want to do after you graduate?”

“Are you going back to school after this year?”

“Have you applied to your post-grad program?”

“You should look at jobs for when you’re done school in April.”

You’re not actually behind; there isn’t something you’re missing. There is a wild expectation that because you’re in senior year, you have it all figured out.

We don’t! If anything, we are way more confused than everyone else. Between polishing off our last year of courses, deciding whether to apply for post-graduate programs or jobs, and thinking about the loan we’ve accumulated over the last four years…..

So you see, there is a lot going on. There is a lot to be stressed about and there are a lot of people wondering what your next move is. It’s okay not to know how to answer these questions. You’re allowed to be torn between postgrad and entering the work world. Your twenties are about figuring things out, not actually having all the answers.

If you’re unsure about what postgraduate program you want to pursue, there is nothing wrong with taking a year off. You can work and earn some money to pay back your debts, or prepare for your future tuition costs.

You can be absolutely finished with school and enter the workforce (props to you for being able to adult right away).

You can apply to your Masters’ program, and head right back to school the following year.

Seriously, the world is your oyster. It’s perfectly okay to not know what you’re going to do when April rolls around. It’s perfectly okay to not apply to further schooling, and it’s okay to apply right now. You don’t have to know what’s next, or have a five or ten-year plan. As long as you’re satisfied with where you are at now, everything will eventually fall into place.

And trust me….I fall into the “idk” category.

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.