Wellness

Winter: Cozy, Cold & A Time to Thrive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

For most people living in Canada, winter can span for over half the year, making it challenging to find the motivation to face the bitter cold, dark mornings and piles of snow. For me, getting out of my cozy bed when I’m cocooned in layers of fuzzy blankets on a winter morning, seems like the most daunting task. However, various aspects of stereotypical Canadian winters aren’t as bad as people think. So here are some tips and tricks to crush seasonal depression and enjoy, endure and overcome the cold. It’s also a great way to show the rest of the world that we don’t hibernate in igloos during this time of year.

Treat yourself to a warm drink

Winter is the time to indulge in Starbucks’ Christmas-themed menu (Sugar Cookie Oat lattes are my favourite) and procure incredible homemade cozy beverages. There is also the possibility for warm apple cider, steaming hot chocolate and peppermint tea. The cold can freeze you inside out, but there’s never a better time of year to sip a toasty beverage and maybe even eat some Tim Biebs along with it.

breathe in the brisk air

Going outside during the winter in Canada can feel like stepping through a portal and entering another dimension. Picture the cool air fogging in front of you as you take a breath; the snow sprinkled trees and the white wonderland that many residential streets have become. All of it can be a pleasure to admire! Perhaps until you see all the yellow stains scatter on street corners. Getting outside can seem like a chore, but admiring the beauty of winter that not everyone gets to experience can be rewarding! Also, despite how challenging mental health walks can seem, they do often work wonders!

bundle up!

The previous point may have made you feel cold just thinking about it, but there are many ways to stay warm and rock some winter fashion! You may feel like you’re stuck under a ton of weight while you shuffle around in winter clothing, but warm socks, mittens, a toque and maybe even a scarf your Nana knit, can keep you cozy while venturing out of your home. Besides, who doesn’t love indulging in funky patterned knit sweaters, corduroy pants and wool socks? It allows your inner grandpa to come out, the one time of year when you likely won’t overheat.

winter activties

It’s a luxury to be able to try out some seasonally dependent sports, and even if you’re not great at them, there’s something for everyone. Winter in Ontario is fantastic for skiing, cross country or downhill. One of my personal favorite activities is cross country skiing through the forest (maybe I’m biased because I work at a chalet :)). Downhill is also a blast! Skating is another great way to get some exercise outdoors and a lovely social activity. Plus, hockey is the Canadian sport! If you’re anything like me, sometimes just getting outside and building a snowman, along with throwing snowballs at everyone, is always a wonderful way to enjoy the winter snow.

Lastly, but certainly not the least worthy of the plethora of activities available during the winter, it’s okay to stay in!

Sometimes we have days where we’re not motivated to go out to brave the weather. In that case, a flannel pj day is warranted! No one expects you to be at your 100% every day, so taking the time to recharge and watch some Hallmark movies on the couch is beneficial for everyone. Some days are going to be challenging, but the point is that you take the time needed to ensure you feel happy and healthy.

Overall, winter is a challenging time of year, but that doesn’t mean there is nothing to do. Winter has lots to offer, from admiring the snowfall, skiing, enjoying some cozy drinks or even spending the day in! Hopefully, each day you find something to try during this season and maybe winter will seem a little less cold, a little shorter and much more of a time to thrive. 

Abigail Oshell

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Author in the making, film enthusiast & English major📚🎥🪴🐸