The What’s and How’s of Essential Oils

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you are interested in exploring the vast and rejuvenating ways your body and mind can heal with the use of essential oils, start here. After reading this article, you will no longer be a beginner to the world of essential oils, and hopefully feel inspired to try some out as we learn what they are, how to use them, and how they can benefit your life.

It’s time to throw a little history at you. First, let’s talk about what they are, and where they came from. 

In a nutshell, essential oils are simply the oil that is extracted from a plant. This extracted oil contains the essence of the specific plant, including its smell and healing properties. Essential oils have been used as a healing tool for physiological and psychological well being for thousands of years. Traditionally, this practice began with the burning of incense, which originated within Chinese culture. Egyptians were one of the first to invent an oil extraction mechanism. Their purpose during this time was to prevent the decaying process of the dead. Thankfully for us, this technology has provided extraordinary health benefits for millions across the globe.

How can they be used?

You may be interested in investing in your health using natural remedies, however, getting started can definitely be confusing and overwhelming. There are many ways to use essential oils. The method of application depends on your specific health concern, so I’ve outlined a brief guide for you to follow.

1. Topical Application

This method is applied externally through your skin. This technique would be used to heal acne, scaring, congestion, headaches, muscular pains, and many more health concerns. Examples include using a damp, warm or cold, face cloth with adding 8-10 drops (unless indicated otherwise) of the essential oil of your choice. In addition, two common ways of using essential oils are salt baths and body massages. For salt baths, simply mix your oil with Epsom salt and enjoy a nice relaxing tub of beautiful aromas. Lastly, who doesn’t love a good massage? You can either massage your area of concern or ask a friend to do it for you, adding intimacy to the process of healing and rejuvenation.

Rose Essential Oil

The essential oil derived from rose flowers is full of antidepressant properties making this oil great to use during stressful times. This oil is great for boosting self-esteem, confidence, and overall mental strength. Its aroma evokes feelings of happiness and positivity that will be helpful during stressful or depressed times. If you feel you need an extra boost of positivity, it is exactly the one for you.

2. Inhalation

This method includes making use of those awesome aroma diffusers you might have noticed at the mall and perhaps stopped to check out since they smell so good! If you do not have the luxury of owning a diffuser, don’t worry! There are homemade techniques that will get the job done. For example, add your oil to a pot or bowl of warm/hot water and then place a towel over your head while leaning over the bowl. Sitting underneath the towel for 15-30 minutes daily will reduce congestion, headaches, and stress. An even easier way to inhale your oils is by putting the required drops in your hand and inhaling without touching the oil to your nose.

Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils

Lavender or peppermint oil can relive headache pain and discomfort. Both lavender and peppermint are analgesic, which means they have the ability to numb pain. In addition, they are anti-inflammatory oils, which means they reduce tissue and muscle swelling. Combined, the healing properties and calming aroma allow these oils to be the most effective for headaches. Choosing one of the two is completely subjective and up to your own preference.

3. Ingestion

You can ingest these oils but, like any medicine, make sure you talk to your doctor or the employee at the specific location you are buying your oil from. Oils for ingestion often come in the form of capsules and syrups. 

Eucalyptus Essential Oils

Eucalyptus essential oil is extracted from the dried leaves of eucalyptus. The main healing properties of this oil are used for the respiratory system. This includes coughs, congestion, infection of the lungs, and asthma. The healing property soothes the mucous membrane and reduces inflammation. If winter coughs and colds are constantly reoccurring, try this essential oil to allow your body to truly heal.

4. Oral

To orally treat health concerns with essential oils, you can either gargle and/or apply the oil to the back of your tongue. One would use this technique for oral health concerns like mouth or throats sores. 

There you have it! The what’s and how’s you need to know about essential oils and the benefits of specific oils. There are many more oils to explore for each health concern you have. Enjoy and take care.

Three phrases that I live by and describe my personality best are:  Do what you love and give it everything you have. Everything happens for a reson let the universe guide you. All we need is love. - The Beatles 
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.