What I Learned by Not Having my Phone for a Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Trying to get off social media in general is something I have always experimented with. This stemmed from the fact that some of my fondest memories were when I was up north as a teen where I had absolutely zero reception. Being present in the moment with my family was great, but as I got more and more dependent on my phone I started to fear missing out on social events with my friends. Missing a text message or a Snapchat meant that I was no longer included in events. I didn’t reply fast enough, and people would get frustrated when I couldn’t reply to them within the hour. As I grew older, I found this mentality of always being on-call haunting me. I was constantly anxious and worried. Are they going to be mad that I didn’t respond? Why are they not responding? Are they mad at me? What did I do wrong? I found myself getting increasingly paranoid and anxious around a light flashing on my screen, or a lack thereof. Then suddenly, in the middle of my first term, my phone gave up in the middle of the night. It would be a week before I could get a replacement and I was thrust into a world without a phone. It was probably one of the best weeks of my life. Here is what I took away.

1. Waking up wasn’t as hard as I thought.

The second my phone died I was so worried about being able to get up for classes. How on earth was I going to get my sleep-deprived self to class if I didn’t have 20 alarms blazing in the morning like a fire drill to get me up? The week started with me getting up super early as my anxiety took over, but as the week went on, I became more in tune with time. My body, in a way, became its own clock and I was able to consistently wake up at the time I needed to be up by.

2. Trust became huge.

Whenever I met up with friends during this week, I had to take a leap of faith that plans wouldn’t change last minute and that they would actually show up when they said they would. I had no way of contacting them to see where they were or if they were running late, and no way of knowing if plans had changed. I really learned to trust people in that week – to trust that they wouldn’t stand me up and that they would be on time.

3. Not having a clock is difficult.

I, like most people, don’t have a watch. Why would I need one? I had my phone to tell the time. Well evidently, this week I didn’t have my phone and therefore did not have a way of knowing the time. I didn’t know what time it was unless I asked someone or looked for a clock around the school. Which, I may add, there seemed to be less around than I remembered. It was truly disorienting, and I have been wearing a watch on my wrist ever since.

Even though I have my phone now, I am still struggling with social media. I tell myself that I need it as a networking tool and that it’s necessary for me to maintain the relationships that are important to me; however, having unplugged reluctantly for a week, I realized that a phone is not necessary to maintain a successful life. The one thing I can take away from this experience is that social media is not and will never be a substitute for human connection.

Adrianna Pater

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Adrianna - 4th year Film and Management student at Wilfrid Laurier University. You will probably find me at the library. Instagram @AddiePater
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her