Wellness

Understanding and Managing Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

As the seasons begin to change, the nights get longer and the pile of snow on the ground gets higher, we often find ourselves feeling sad and moody. Seasonal affective disorder, also known as seasonal depression, is a common type of depression that many individuals feel when there is a change in seasons. If you haven’t been feeling the greatest these past few weeks, read on to find out how you can learn to better handle the symptoms of seasonal depression.

Seasonal Affective Disorder begins and ends around the same time every year. Most individuals feel symptoms during the start of fall which continue into the winter months. SAD often consumes a lot of your energy, making you feel moody and depressed. It’s important to not brush off the disorder as a case of the “winter blues” that you have to overcome by yourself. There are critical steps you can take to make sure your mood and motivation do not fluctuate throughout the year.

In many cases, the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder don’t appear until late fall or early winter and often become severe as the season progresses. Some important symptoms to note in consideration of SAD are feeling depressed every day, losing interest in activities you once enjoyed, having low energy, experiencing changes in appetite or weight, struggling to sleep properly and having difficulty concentrating.

While the specific cause for Seasonal Affective Disorder is still unknown, some factors such as your serotonin and melatonin levels are major causes for SAD. A drop in serotonin, which is a brain chemical that affects your mood, can play a role in provoking SAD. Reduced sunlight is linked to causing a decline in serotonin which can trigger depression. The change in season can also disrupt your body’s melatonin level, causing an imbalance in your sleep patterns and mood.

While SAD is quite common, it is also very treatable. Here are some ways you can learn to ease the effects of seasonal depression.

Get moving

One of the easiest ways to alleviate Seasonal Affective Disorder is by daily exercise. Even with a light workout or a yoga routine, you can help your body release endorphins and alleviate Seasonal Affective Disorder. Exercise can also help balance the weight gain that is quite common during the winter months.

Let in as much sunshine as you can

During the winter we tend to avoid going out as much in order to avoid the cold. However, if you have Seasonal Affective Disorder, you’ll want to get outside as much as possible during the day to take advantage of the sunlight. Take a stroll around the block when the sun’s at its brightest and keep the natural light flowing into your home whenever possible.

Maintain a regular daily routine

If you live with SAD, you might find yourself having trouble sleeping at night and getting up in the morning. By maintaining a regular sleep schedule, you can help alleviate symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder. A daily routine will expose you to light at consistent and predictable times, keeping your serotonin levels balanced.

Add aromatherapy into your life

Aromatherapy is a light and easy treatment for seasonal depression. The essential oils in aromatherapy trigger the area of the brain responsible for controlling moods and the body’s internal clock that influences sleep and appetite. By simply adding a few drops of essential oils to your bath at night you can find yourself relaxing much easier.

Seasonal Affective Disorder can be hard to manage if you don’t understand the causes behind it. It’s important to take better care of your body during the cold months when you are at your most sensitive. Seasonal depression is a common concern for many individuals. While the risks can be somewhat injurious, it is still treatable. Learn to put yourself first and treat SAD as more than just the winter blues.

Chandni Bhatt

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chandni is a fourth-year Global Studies and Political Science student. She loves writing, reading and binge-watching Netflix tv-shows.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!