Wellness > Mental Health

Tips on How to Boost your Mental Health with Everyday Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Many people struggle with their mental health at some point in their lives, and while taking care of your mental health usually means consulting a counsellor or seeking professional support, there are alternatives that you can undertake to improve your well-being and emotional health on your own. In honour of Bell Let’s Talk Day, I have compiled a list of tips for boosting your mental health with changes in daily habits!

1. Take breaks

We all know that as students, school can be a little overwhelming to handle when juggling our personal lives and mental health as well. Don’t underestimate the wonders that taking breaks can do! Whether it means taking a half-hour study break or taking a moment to relax and gather your thoughts during a busy day, take some space for yourself. Give yourself time to catch up with friends, converse with family members or get some fresh air, for example.

2. Time-out from social media

It’s no surprise that this is on the list; we, as a society, are way too reliant on our smartphones and focused on social media that sometimes, it’s good to cut the time that you spend scrolling through different sites. Research suggests that smartphone usage and increased social media activity can play a role in overall mental health, leading to negative effects such as depressive symptoms, stress and sleep disorders in some cases. Furthermore, taking a time-out from social media provides time for critical self-reflection and spending more time with your loved ones.

3. Avoid procrastinating

Putting off tasks can cause things to build up, which often leads to stress and anxiety because of time constraints. Consequently, this habit is very unhealthy for your overall mental well-being so it’s always good to spread tasks out and focus on bigger and more urgent projects first. You don’t benefit from putting off tasks; either your quality of work is affected or you experience a great deal of stress from rushing to complete things on time. If you’re feeling anxious about getting started on an important task, relieve your stress by engaging in your hobbies: listening to music, watching one of your favourite shows or exercising, and then get started on your to-do list.

4. Get enough sleep

Operating on a consistent sleep schedule profoundly affects your mental health in many ways. Sleep deprivation has been known to exacerbate stress and depressive symptoms. Not to mention, getting enough sleep increases energy, brain performance and memory, all of which are critical for mental health. It’s especially important for your body to go to sleep at earlier times, instead of staying up to 2 a.m. for example, so try to refrain from using your phone or computer an hour before you go to sleep to avoid distractions. There are apps available to track your sleeping quality and give you information on your sleeping habits. Sleep Cycle and Pillow are popular apps that have been noted by users to be effective in monitoring sleep habits and providing stats to help improve sleep quality!

Improving your mental health may seem complicated, but I assure you that changing certain habits can make a world of difference. However, it is important to recognize signs that you need professional help; there are many sources for support, such as the Laurier Student Wellness Centre and other off-campus resources!

Cici Wei

Wilfrid Laurier '20

A 4th year Political Science and Management Option Student at WLU.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her