Tips and Tricks to Spice Up Typical University Student Meals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Let’s face it, a university diet can get boring. Student meals usually consist of simple things that are easy to prepare, but with a bit of creativity and a few extra ingredients, basic meals can go from bland to tasty. After all, variety is the spice of life!

Instant Ramen

Conan knows what’s up.

Probably one of the cheapest meals you can get (these babies go on sale from time to time at Walmart for 15 cents a pack). Ramen can be bland on its own, but there’s tons of room for creativity with this dish. Pretty much anything goes here! You can add protein with cooked beef or chicken, or for vegetarians eggs or tofu; your favourite veggies, like carrots, green onions, and peas; plus, you can experiment with spices to add your own flare – my personal favourite is a garlic and red pepper spice blend.

Kraft Dinner

This amazing, cheesy bowl of carbs is something we all know and love. While there will always be a special place in my heart (and stomach) for a simple bowl of KD, there are so many options for add-ins to take it to the next level. You can’t go wrong with chopped bacon or hot dogs, or for the healthier Collegiettes out there, broccoli, mushrooms, or spinach are good ways to get a serving of veggies. Also, grate some extra cheese on top, because who has ever complained about extra cheese?!

Grilled Cheese Me too, Sheldon, me too…

Another student staple, because putting cheese between bread and frying it takes next to no effort. Adding things like bacon, leftover roasted chicken, and avocado are my favourite ways to take it to a gourmet level. For a sweeter version of this classic, try using brie cheese and fruit jam – you won’t regret it, trust me!

Frozen Pizza

Which is more delicious, Zac Efron or pizza?

Obviously every university student loves pizza, but your wallet will thank you for taking a trip to the frozen aisle of the grocery store rather than placing your fifth Domino’s order of the month. I typically buy a plain cheese pizza and add whatever toppings I’m in the mood for (or whatever is hiding in my fridge). Be as simple (ham and mushroom) or as adventurous (leftover mac and cheese, anyone?) as you’d like. Experimentation is the name of the game here! And two words: extra cheese.

Bagels

Forget a toasted bagel with butter or cream cheese! There are so many things you can do with these wonderful circles of carbs. Try melting cheese on them, or adding some egg and sausage to replicate those amazing breakfast sandwiches from Starbucks at a fraction of the cost. You can also bring the avocado toast trend to the bagel side (truly life-changing). For a lunch option, try peanut butter and banana, and if you’re a chocolate addict try adding Nutella too.

Cereal

My apologies if this song is now stuck in your head all day…

If you’re anything like me, cereal is not only a breakfast food, but also a quick meal between classes or a late night study snack. Those Cheerios can get a bit boring before you finish the entire family size box that you bought on sale, so adding sliced bananas, raspberries, or blueberries is a sure way to brighten up that bowl. Another trick I like to use is adding granola to cereal, to add some variety to each bite!

Microwave Popcorn

A perfect snack, whether you’re having a solo study session or a movie night with the girls. If you find yourself getting sick of the buttery flavour, there are tons of popcorn seasonings you can pick up the next time you hit the grocery store, or try your hand at a fancier variety, like peanut butter popcorn or caramel corn. Bring it to the next girls’ night in and it’s sure to be a hit.

Happy cooking, Collegiettes!

Lacey Jantzi

Wilfrid Laurier

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.