Things You Wish People Would Have Told You Before First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

With first year flying by before our very eyes, we have realized there were many “first” experiences. Coming into university, people tell you all sorts of things and your expectations are set before you even know what res you are in. After our first-year experience, we have pulled together all of the things that we wish we knew coming into our first year of university.

Don’t use your fake at Dallas.

You have your entire life to go out, and party, and make a few mistakes. First year is the year to go to res parties, and meet people on the streets! DO NOT risk your ID (if you have one) at places that will take it away, like Dallas! Your night ends up being a waste when there were plenty of other things to do around the ‘loo. Dallas will be there when you’re legal, we’re almost there!

Living with your don is ok.

Don’t panic if you find out you’re living with your don! They might end up being a pretty cool person, and even a new best friend. They are a great resource and are always there when you need ANYTHING.

You’re going to fail something at least once.

We have all had that midterm or assignment that did not go as planned, and even possibly shed a tear or two. It happens to the best of us, and is not the end of the world. You will have plenty of other things to bring your mark up. If you’re worried though, speak to your TA’s, profs and academic advising! They are always helpful.

University is truly a slap in the face, but you will survive.

Coming from high school, where marks weren’t too hard to get, university is a tad harder. You truly need to push yourself and find ways of managing your time and find the best study habits for you. You will get home sick from time to time, and really just want your bed at home, but at the end of the day everything will be ok, and you’ll make it through.

Res will be over soon, just be patient.

There will be times where res seems to be the WORST thing going on in your life. Things come up and it can seem pretty bad, but keep in mind that it is almost over! The year will fly by and will be over before you know it. Enjoy it while it lasts, because there still are good times, and you will make memories that will last forever.

The Freshman 15 is REAL.

No matter how hard you try and what you do, you may gain a pound or two. Getting carried away with your friends one night and eating 4 pizzas, mac and cheese and brownies, but don’t worry, it happens to the best of us. Don’t panic! Hit up the gym (really pretty people, too), and take a longer route to campus. You have all summer to worry about getting back into shape, enjoy the late-night meals, they make for the best memories and the best nights.

Friends will come and go.

No matter what you say and how hard you try, you will lose touch with people. It’s hard and everyone is busy and doing their own thing, as we start a new chapter in our lives. It isn’t the biggest deal, don’t drive yourself too crazy over it. True friends will always be there, and catching up is always nice, but new friends will make their way in, and the old ones will always be there!

Go to O-Week!!

People may give you crap for it, but GO! You only have one first year O-Week, and the events are actually a good time. You’ll get a chance to meet a ton of people, and have a really good, funny time! The events make for the best memories, and it will always be a part of your first-year experience. The events are made for you to get to know the people and the campus! O-Week is a MUST, so go to the events!!!

Everyone will have their own experience, but these are some basics that needed to be put down and known! First year is one that will be remembered forever, so make sure you make every single second of it count! And hey, every bad thing makes for a funny story one day!

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.