This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I never understood why people meditated. I didn’t understand its purpose, and I thought I would look silly to a family member or roommate walking past my room and seeing me sitting quietly, eyes closed, breathing heavily. It all seemed odd to me. However, about six months ago, I dedicated a full month to completing a yoga program where I began incorporating meditation into my daily routine.

I try my best to meditate every day, or at least when I’m feeling low or stressed so that I can clear my mind. I find it peaceful listening to the beat of my heart. Meditation has many benefits that can aid in various aspects of your life. I find myself meditating more during school since I can get overwhelmed easily with large workloads and pressing deadlines. Below is a list explaining the benefits of meditation and why it’s important.

Relieves Stress and Anxiety

It isn’t a secret that meditating is used as a coping mechanism and is scientifically proven to relieve anxiety. By focusing on mindfulness mediation, the individual can concentrate on more important things, such as their breath or specific intentions. When taking part in meditation and focusing on your breath, it is a distraction from any worries or anxieties.

Improved Self-esteem

Surprisingly with enough practice of mediation and the more one incorporates it into their daily life, it can improve self-esteem. When I began meditating, I didn’t think that it would improve this area of my life. However, I was wrong. This has helped me in the sense that I accomplish something every day. Meditating is a form of self-care, and like exercising, it can improve your self-esteem the more you incorporate it into your daily routine.

Improves Memory and Concentration

Consistent practice of meditation can improve one’s memory and concentration levels. Since meditation involves concentrated breathing and training your brain to be distraction-free, this can aid in memory improvement. Continuous practice allows the cortex in the brain to increase- specifically linking to the mental functions of memory, concentration as well as learning.

Better Sleep Quality

Meditating before bed is highly recommended. The reason meditating helps improve your sleep quality is because as you begin to clear your mind from the distractions around you. Your body begins to release melatonin. The relaxed mind begins to increase the levels of melatonin which aids in a night of more restful sleep.

Practicing meditation, whether it is mindfulness, movement, mantra or any other form, is going to aid in many components in our lives. We need to focus on our breathing, focus on eliminating any stresses or anxieties by reducing them the best we can. As a student at University, I find meditation extremely helpful. From reducing my stresses and anxieties to helping me get better sleep. Student or not, try incorporating meditation into your routine, whether it’s once a week or daily. Try slowing down your breath and mind to focus more on your body and mind.

Sources

https://www.floridamedicalclinic.com/blog/meditate-before-bed/

https://mindworks.org/blog/does-meditation-improve-memory/#:~:text=Regular%20meditation%20increases%20blood%20flow,day%20boosts%20memory%20and%20concentration.

Ashley Ethier

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Ashley is a third year double major in Sociology and English at Wilfrid Laurier University. In her spare time she enjoys reading, walking her dogs and enjoying the simpler things in life.