Wellness > Health

The Best Workout Channels for When Gyms are Closed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Once again, we’re in lockdown. Everything has shut down again and honestly, it sucks but I guess I’m sort of used to it now. With this shut down though, all the gyms are closed again. Since I started university, I‘ve gotten into the habit of going to the gym at least four days a week, sometimes five or six if I’m feeling it. Gyms constantly closing has made it difficult to hold myself to this routine, but I’m still giving it my best shot. I was definitely one of those people who hopped on the Chloe Ting train in 2020 and her videos were great for about a month. Then I just didn’t feel the burn anymore, so off I went on the search for more workouts. Throughout the on and off shutdowns, these channels below have workout videos that challenge me and give that burn I‘m looking for.

Lilly Sabri

I discovered Lilly’s channel right after I began to think I had graduated from Chloe Ting. Her videos are very similar, but she focuses on more targeted movements. You can’t workout only one part of your body, but in her workouts, she teaches you how to engage different muscles to see results. Lilly also doesn’t require any weights in her videos which is great for being stuck at home. These videos are ideal for beginners and are a great channel to start with if you’re still becoming familiar with working out. The exercises are on the easier side but still get you to feel a burn.

MadFit

Like Lilly Sabri, MadFit is a great channel for beginners. Her videos are short and have relatively easy moves, but they are beneficial for learning how to do moves properly. She has many videos that don’t require having any equipment, and even if she is using equipment her moves are ones you can still do using bodyweight only. Her videos are very useful for learning how to engage the right muscles and how to do exercises properly to avoid injury, which is important to know. Also, she is from Ontario, so she totally gets the lockdown struggle!

Pamela Reif

Pamela’s channel is also great for shorter videos. If you only have a little time, her videos are a great option and if you’re looking for a longer workout, she has lots of videos you can put together for a combination of cardio and strength training. Pamela’s videos also have the benefit of not requiring any equipment and still feeling the burn, which is great for when you’re stuck at home and may not have any weights. The workouts on her channel are great ones for feeling an instant burn. They may be like Lilly’s in length, but they’re significantly harder, her ab videos in particular. All in all, Pamela is a great option for an intense burn in a short amount of time.

Sydney Cummings

Sydney’s channel is one of my current favourites. Her videos are longer, full workouts focused mostly on strength training and progressive overload. While she does do some no equipment videos, many of her videos do require having at least some weights with you. I’ve found that out of all the workout channels I’ve watched, hers are the most similar to a workout I’d do at the gym. Her videos and her channel are a very positive space where she gives a lot of advice on being your best self and holding yourself accountable. She also provides many modifications for her workouts so if you are a beginner, you can still do the workouts.

Bullyjuice

My roommate showed me this channel and honestly, these workouts almost made me cry. The guy that runs the channel is in shape to an almost intimidating level, but WOW are they ever great workouts. If you’re looking to feel the burn within a minute of starting your workout, give these a try. They’re difficult workouts, but I find if I take breaks when I need them, these videos are beneficial. Bullyjuice also has a lot of cardio videos on his channels that are great to use when you don’t have access to cardio machines, and it‘s too cold to go outside. A word of advice though, stretch after these or maybe plan on doing these videos before a day off from working out, because based on personal experience, you will be sore the next day!

All these channels have been beneficial to me during lockdowns and have helped to hold me accountable for getting exercise. Two important things to remember is that everyone is different, what worked for me, may not work for you. As well, take things at your own pace, go slow and build up. There is no pressure, working out is all about you and how you feel. Good luck!

Allie Lancaster

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Allie is a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University double majoring in Psychology and English. She loves being outside and is a huge fan of hiking, boating and skiing. Some of her other passions include reading, drawing, travelling and her puppy.