Spring-Themed Desserts to Celebrate the Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Springtime is here, and what better way to celebrate than with baked goods? The start of every season always has me feeling extra inspired to bake up some super cute desserts that can be customized to the seasons, all of which I love oh-so-much. And, while I don’t need an occasion to have fun in the kitchen, this one certainly doesn’t hurt.

Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing

I love baking sugar cookies, and I’ve come across a great recipe that seems to please everyone who tries it. What I love about this recipe is how simple it is compared to other sugar cookie recipes — no chilling, no spreading and no mis-shaped cookies. They bake flat and smooth too, which is perfect for decorating. You can find my favourite sugar cookie recipe on In Katrina’s Kitchen!

I’ve recently started experimenting with royal icing, which has been a really fun process! It’s definitely not as easy as videos on Instagram would have you believe, but the effort is definitely worth it. Decorating cookies has become one of my favourite things to do! My go-to royal icing recipe can be found on AllRecipes.com.

Pastel Cupcakes

Cupcakes are a great choice if you consider yourself to be a beginner in the kitchen. While you can make your cupcakes from scratch if you feel so inclined, it is totally acceptable to use box mix if that makes you more comfortable. What makes cupcakes perfect for matching a theme is that there are many different ways to customize them. Get creative with food colouring and marble your batter different pastel colours. Or, colour your icing and pipe it into flowers. Stuck for inspiration? Check out Pinterest, where you can find a ton of tutorials and simple yet cute designs!

Anything with Rhubarb

Rhubarb is one of my favourite things to eat in the spring. Its tart flavours add a level of excitement to desserts that just screams spring. Rhubarb can be added to pies or tarts, but my favourite way to have them is in bar form. My mom likes to make strawberry-rhubarb crumb bars every year, and they are honestly one of my favourite desserts to have — I would eat the whole tray if I could get away with it. Completely Delicious has a similar recipe to what she uses that’s sure to satisfy if you’re a fan of rhubarb.

Lemon Tarts

Lemon is another bold flavour that lends itself perfectly to anything spring-themed. I found this recipe for lemon tarts shaped like flowers and couldn’t help but include them. They are super cute and festive, without being complicated. The best part is, they only need two ingredients! You can find this recipe on the Kid and Kin blog.

Baking is a great way to relieve stress, which is key as we head into final paper and exam season. Hopefully, these spring-themed desserts will give you the boost you need to get through it. Happy spring, Golden Hawks!

Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.